David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/13/20 9:20 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally ran in the September 2008 issue of Classic Motorsports]

We have come a long way since Bosco’s Collapsible Rubber Driver. This turn-of-the-century antitheft device was incredibly simple and elegant in its design: It was merely an inflatable dummy th…

Read the rest of the story

sir_mike
sir_mike New Reader
10/13/20 3:49 p.m.

Great article...I have 2 very early SpeedPilots and a Twinmaster.One note on Martin Jubb...he passed away 3/27/2011...

gedupont
gedupont
10/13/20 11:52 p.m.

So where's the 8 Track casette tape?

keithedwards
keithedwards Reader
10/14/20 5:16 a.m.

My '54 Austin-Healey 100 had an "original" radio. It was AM, had tubes, and a single speaker built-in. The '40 Buick that was on the farm I grew up on had a strange box, about the size of car battery, that I was told was a radio.

Andrewsky
Andrewsky New Reader
10/14/20 6:39 a.m.

I'm still imagining old cars built with our latest machinery at disposal running at incredible speed though. 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/14/20 11:54 a.m.
keithedwards said:

My '54 Austin-Healey 100 had an "original" radio. It was AM, had tubes, and a single speaker built-in. 

Let no one make fun of that. If nuclear war ever came, all those modern radios will be out of action from the EMP while yours will play on (assuming there is anything being broadcast....)

I still use tubes in one of my hifi systems.

roverguy
roverguy New Reader
2/13/21 5:21 p.m.

A friend gave me a set of used (of course) Carellos he took off his Healy restoration.

Both the reflectors were bad, which meant the entire reflector and lens.

Found a NOS set of reflectors on line for a decent price (considering I didn't have to pay for the original lamps). Because of the scarcity of glass for these old lights I really wanted a pair of covers, which are basically made of unobtanium since they either fall off, or the plastic dries out and they crack.

Believe it or not I found a pair of covers made by Westin (yes the truck accessory company for $7.00) that with minor trimming look factory.

I did have to sand off the WESTIN name and polish the plastic. Then; another friend who owns a graphic printing shop made some laser cut Carello decals for them.  Looks the bomb.

Oh, by the way they are on my '74 2002; what the heck!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/13/21 6:16 p.m.

I have a pair of driving lamps that were made in the DDR. Now I need a Trabant to bolt them to. That would be pretty period correct.

dougie
dougie HalfDork
2/13/21 11:08 p.m.

Great article. I've always tried the maintain period correct accessories on my 1957 Austin Healey 100-6 MM vintage racer while remaining very competitive.

Volvoguy2
Volvoguy2
2/18/21 4:40 p.m.

While not original, Ive got a Moto Lita wood and steel one in my 67 P1800S. I think it give my GT Volvo a rather sporty flare!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8H9b5FpjH5RQ7gDzuofZyR0nODA9s4unF0D8CKwOFv2aLaNU50Bjt6RHuzRjiMUa