David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/22 11:12 a.m.

Fire burns hot no matter the day or occasion. It doesn’t care if it breaks out during a quiet drive through the countryside or a major race on the international scene. 

Many competition venues have required fire-suppression systems for decades. But what about your street or show car? Go…

Read the rest of the story

LostInTransit
LostInTransit New Reader
3/9/22 3:50 p.m.

Thanks for writing this as I'm about ready to install two small extinguishers in the Transit Connect. In fact I have two custom made bracket/panels and I've not yet decided the best place to install them. maybe for your next article you write about where the extinguisher needs to be placed.

LostinTransit

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/9/22 4:43 p.m.

I like to say that the ABC powder type basically works by destroying the thing that's on fire so that the fire can't feed on it - it works by oxidation.

AFFF is good for not only stopping the fire but also helping to save the thing that's on fire, just be aware that it's not all that good for the environment or your health, it's basically a sudsy mix of "forever chemicals:"

https://www.firerescue1.com/firefighting-foam/articles/forever-chemicals-what-firefighters-need-to-know-about-afff-and-pfas-8pdsKB4G2G1fJoIM/

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/22 5:48 p.m.

So, true story:

A dozen or so years ago, we took our Porsche 911 on a classic car rally. The night before leaving, I (finally) read all the paperwork.

All cars shall carry a fire extinguisher.

I can't remember if there were specifics. I think the order was that simple: Carry a fire extinguisher. 

So I hit the local big box store and bought one. I'm all set, right?

Well, the car never caught fire, but ever since then, I've had this fear that it would the moment I removed the extinguisher. I believe I even replaced the original extinguisher with another from the big box store. I forget if it was AB or ABC. 

But lately I have been wondering: Am I even carrying the right kind? I should know better, right?

Back in the day, I worked for a shop that sold halon extinguishers, but we know that halon isn't easily available these days.

So, what should I really carry? Answering that question led to this article. 

Daisy911
Daisy911 New Reader
3/10/22 11:05 a.m.

I would also suggest the Element fire extinguisher; compact, lightweight, can be store in any direction, and lasts much longer than regular 2.5 and 5 lb bottles 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/10/22 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Daisy911 :

We will check that one out.

ajmr2
ajmr2 New Reader
3/13/22 6:53 p.m.

I found this video among a couple others on the Element website.

I think we can trust Mr. Leno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBjXecsF860&t=53s

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
5/9/22 3:06 p.m.

That Element extinguisher is perfect! Added to my shopping list!

(It's important to note, since it's mentioned below, that the lack of a UL rating is not because of a performance deficiency, but because UL uses antiquated testing criteria that requires a fire extinguisher to have a certain physical appearance.)

Our Preferred Partners
aGhFbVqjdCqG55FgdRwAnTgB6WAEikiOt4ogNQJHiFtlrJQvN2yIRgxPCeNJPAqy