OFracing
OFracing Reader
6/27/18 8:18 p.m.

I just had to replace my open trailer, long story involving interstate road speeds and construction. I have a fresh slate and I'm looking for ideas (and tons of pictures).

Old trailer -

New clean slate

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/27/18 9:26 p.m.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Was it I-90 or I-95 that got you?  

No pictures, sorry.  It looks like you'll have some space in front of the car.  How about a full width lockable storage bin to keep more of your goodies inside plus protect the car from crud kicked up by your camper?   I think I've seen a couple like that.  

Stu

OFracing
OFracing Reader
6/28/18 7:21 a.m.

In reply to stu67tiger:

It was on I84. Considering a box in the front with a high mount tire rack.

mike

dougie
dougie Reader
6/28/18 7:01 p.m.
Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/28/18 7:49 p.m.

Mike, it looks like your new trailer is able to support a huge vintage Trans-am car with all accoutrements. Therefore, it should be more than sufficient for your beautiful Spitfire race car, tools, spares, and a few hundred extra tires. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas or photos for open tow trailer designs. However, I really do like your thinking. I've always thought that the proliference of closed trailers, even for club racers, is more than a bit pretentious. Open trailers were the way to go for many, many years, even for Trans-Am and Can-Am participants. So as a dedicated vintage racer, you are on the right track, sir! Let the people on the freeways see what you're towing! It'll generate interest.

Regarding Thompson, I was happy to do what little I could. I'm also happy that I didn't poke a hole in the fuel bladder, and securely fastened the fuel cell cap and the boot (trunk) lid, so I'm glad you didn't have a problem with those things during the race!

OFracing
OFracing Reader
7/18/18 7:54 p.m.

Phase 1 is completed, in time for a two week trip to western PA for the Kastner Cup at PittRace and then the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. Next additions are side tool boxes over the fenders and a space for the Honda Express Pit bike.

mike

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/20/22 2:09 p.m.

I don't have a race car yet, but I really liked the moto iq trailer build. Seems like they hit a bunch of really good little details. 

https://motoiq.com/project-trailer-all-done-and-using-it/

There's a four part article on the build. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/20/22 2:12 p.m.

I'm sorry. This was a dead thread. Forgot after doing a search. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dL7ymRftdcdHt2nHvDFoBFe2X9mBV1EP3DNehGaIZBE1BTOPHt1FU0L17M2WW69b