Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/18/22 3:59 p.m.
feature_image

Restoring an MGB, Mustang or Porsche 911? You’re in luck: The world offers countless resources, including marque experts, shop manuals and YouTube videos.

Our Elva sports racer doesn’t enjoy that institutional knowledge–not even a sliver of it, as the factory built only about 30 …

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
2/19/22 11:38 a.m.

Looks like they were much more sensible that TVR was. When I built my Grantura Mk 3 as a race car, I found that the rear hib carrier had two small 'ears' that stuck down into which you would stick a taper pin, threaded on the end once the long tie bar that held the A arms to the carrier were assembled. They were to stop the lower rod from turning.

Unfortunately, the 'ears' were very close to the rim and if even a small rock got caught between them it just cracked the ear off.  If you went off track, that was almost guaranteed. Looks like Elva foresaw the issue and had a smooth alloy casting that wouldn't break in off road excursions.

I had to get an alloy tube and heliarc it to the smoothed off broken bits - looked just like the Elva article when finished and never gave any trouble.

Did the Elva use suspension bits from Triumph?  My upper front trunions were Triumph Herald (slightly different from Spitfire) and the steering rack was shortened Triumph (for bump steer purposes). I think that quite a few sports racers used their uprights and other suspension bits.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/28/22 10:44 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Yes, there seemed to be Triumph parts, at least in the front suspension. I have built Lotus, TVR and others and Triumph parts are common in all of these cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V3e2aZ0oxoCLFHn4GDRjvDCs8B97Er3DozsBIyxo6gIXUWChASTqwWQi3i08uQil