1 2
GaryKnox
GaryKnox New Reader
12/7/13 9:48 a.m.

I'll chime in regarding the 928. Had a business relationship with the head of new engine development at Porsche Weissach in the late 1980's. At lunch, I asked him for the best 'used' Porsche to buy. After some discussion with his associate, they said - either a 911SC, or a 928, as they were the best cars Porsche had built up to that time. Not coincidentally, those were the two cars these men owned and drove!

About 10 years later I bought an '87 928. Liked it, but wanted a different color combination, so bought an '88 and sold it. Since then, I've owned 4 more over the years. Had one I used only for driving to, from, and on race tracks for 7 years. Retired from that, so sold it this past summer to a new owner who will use it for fun public transportation as well as track driving. I still own the '94 GTS I bought in '06, and will probably own it until I cease driving. I also own an '03 Mercedes SL55 AMG. Both cars are incredible values in the supercar category - in my opinion.

Great cars to drive. It really PAYS to learn the mechanical/electrical aspects of them, and do your own service. I went through all the cars thoroughly when I bought them, and have never had any problem in their function/performance. I do proper maintenance annually, which I certainly would recommend for any high performance car.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
12/7/13 8:37 p.m.

In reply to ROG100:

" Real Porsche guy's appreciate every car produced not just the 911."

Guess I've never known a lot of "real Porsche guys" but I've known a lot of 911 owners. Must be two different crowds. :-)

GeorgeM
GeorgeM None
12/10/13 7:15 a.m.

I'm an air-cooled 911 owner... and a 928 owner and I love them both. They are so different, that unless one knew better, it wouldn't be obvious that they came from the same manufacturer.

I suspect that the folks who comment negatively about 928s either had a bad experience or none at all. I'll venture to say that most bad 928 experiences are the result of a poor purchase or ignored maintenance. I always caution folks interested in 928s to do the research so that they know what they're getting into. The 928 is not for everyone (neither is the 911 or TR8 for that matter), and I have recommended that some folks pursue other models.

But, as they say, opinions are like you know what, everyone has one.

etmracing
etmracing New Reader
12/10/13 8:18 p.m.

928's have quietly been on the rise for a few years. The late cars bring good money and the early cars are creeping up. 928's have also been getting lots of press in some of the specialty car mags and blogs.

esprits4s
esprits4s New Reader
2/1/14 10:43 p.m.

Huge value in 928s. Later models had 300+ HP. Extremely comfortable even for tall drivers. Great GT cars and hold their own with many sports cars. Plus, despite their reputation, they really aren't very difficult for owner maintenance.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
2/5/14 9:17 p.m.

I think Bring a Trailer just had one that used to belong to Bill Cosby. Hey Hey Hey!

The only Porsche I saw on a recent run on the German Autobahn was a 928. Of course, I passed it in a rented Opel Corsa, so there's that...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ssIoGUKgHhMz9tmO0xGfSlDIRCvzKEjRETVClwDMOCKBy3NdPMy2zCABBcvmi2Kp