Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/18/19 12:10 p.m.

For decades the Porsche 914 and 914-6 have lived in the shadows. Now, finally, demand is on the rise. The cars turn heads and offer a unique motoring experience.

This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get a…

Read the rest of the story

Toebra
Toebra Dork
3/18/19 6:48 p.m.

George has some VERY nice 914s.  A 2.0 914-4 would have been a better comparison.

learjett2
learjett2
3/25/19 9:27 p.m.

Having taken delivery of the 35th 914-4 imported from the Basking Ridge dealer and driving it cross country shortly thereafter,two problems quickly surfaced. Somewhere near Cleveland the starter solinoid jammed up, resulting in dicey push starts and tire iron banging on the starter. The really interesting excitement came in desert smelling gas keeping an eye in the rearview mirror pushed ontoSaltlakeCityUtah. Stopped at the Porsche dealer,he had never seen one of course,but he repaired in record time the fuel line that had been peppered with battery acid. Opened her up  on the Nevada no limit (100mph) roadway wary of the cattle crossing the road. Made it to the new job and proceeded to trade it for a '69 911E targa wishing I had bought it for the trip and kept it.dcl

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven Reader
6/8/23 3:40 p.m.

I've always been drawn to mid-engine cars.  With the Pantera our of reach, I built a mid-engine V8 Corvair while in college.  The description of the 914 shifter sounds like the Vair...  

20 years later, i looked at 914s vs Mk1 MR2s.   ended up with an 87 MR2...very happy with it.   The 914 had very little aftermarket support and was too pricey even then.   And the MR2 shifter is great

Now I have rounded up parts for a 20-valve 4AGE swap and a 1MZE swap.   hope to start next year with the 20-valve, followed by a second car with the V6.

johnorm
johnorm New Reader
6/8/23 4:28 p.m.

The choice is simple, if you have the money ($100k plus) buy a 914/6, they are a fantastic car with great upside in the classic car market. However, for that money you are solidly into 911 territory especially a SC or Carrera model. IMHO, most people would probably perfer a clean '80's 911 over a 914/6.

That said, for Joe Average, the 914/4 ($15k plus) is the model you want, especially a 2.0L chrome bumper 1973-74 with the appearance group. These 914/4's are an amazing value. If you find it lacking in power then you can easily address that issue with 96mm pistons/barrels, an upgraded camshaft and maybe twin Webers or an upgraded FI system. That will put you in the same power range as the 914/6 but with better low end torque. I have two 914/4's under restoration now, both will be on the road in early 2024. The real competitor for the 914/4, in the Porsche world, is a 924 or 944 which are great value as well.

I'm thinking of keeping one of my 914 and acquire a nice 924S or 944. Both cars, in good to excellent condition, will cost me less than half of a ratty original 914/6.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
6/9/23 9:09 a.m.

I would be hard pressed to put another car ahead of a 914 for teaching you how to corner smoothly on the track.  Put a set of non sticky tires on and one will quickly see how  to change directions smoothly, or maybe learn how not to soil themselves while spinning out.  But for the street the MK1 MR2 is way more fun.  It has a motor that pulls to redline and AC.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
olRgyUQoY11VFunFcLCOOwdaRyHTYxnJfvV34cZP9Z7kRHW3mxUhbf25Ai4OOv1Y