1 2
jr02518
jr02518 Reader
9/20/18 9:41 a.m.

In my case I have located a 1961 MGA Coupe that was driven into a garage in 1973, put up on blocks and has now collected years of the dust only found in the "high desert" of  Southern California.  Think  of it as silt.  It finds every nook and cranny.  Think of that classic opening seen of "Indy" running back to the plane imploring Sal to start the engine.  Towing this home will start the process of returning it back to where it came from,  but there is lots of it.

So, how far down the rabbit hole do I go with trying to keep it as I have found it?  I will be the third owner of a car that already has a 1800, 3 bearing MGB motor.  The radiator is mia, there are no tell-tale stain of fluids on the concrete under the car and the trim that should be on the window rubber is in the car.  I am going to source a set of rims and fresh tires to move the car around,  I will be keeping the oem combo available for posterity.  They are mounting wider tires on beach cruisers.  That and I have a feeling these things will not survive getting aired up and rolling onto the trailer. 

Now, what next?  I'm inclined to never wash it.  The car was painted a variation of " old English white" over the the ordinal Iris blue before its internment.  The interior is red.  The combination is at best a 50 footer but given that it looks like "Preservation Class" class participant, what should I do? 

Thank you.  I can't wait to fold my self into this thing and drive it!

David 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/20/18 9:59 a.m.

so it's got a non-OE engine and a poor color change.   IMO no value to keeping it as-found.   having said that, it's your car so i 100% support you doing whatever you want with it.   build thread!!!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/20/18 10:58 a.m.

If the body under the paint is solid, leave the paint alone. Clean it as much as you want, but why erase the history of the car unless forced to do so?

But first, pictures...we need pictures or banned... got it?cheeky

Pete

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
9/20/18 11:09 a.m.

Don't go ape on big wheels, the uprights don't like that. Otherwise, go for it!

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/20/18 12:23 p.m.

so it's got a non-OE engine

It definitely not the original engine, but can be made to look identical to the original motor.  If you're good with a die-grinder you can make the 1800 cast into the block look like a 1600.  

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/20/18 1:38 p.m.

Dirt is not patina, clean it up, and really see what you have.

"Barn Find" cars that bring big $$ are usually the blue-chip collectibles.   While an MGA is certainly a classic, and worth a decent amount of coin, you won't find it's worth more because it's been sitting and is filthy.   Get it in running condition, and enjoy it..... or sell it.  They really are great driving cars. 

My Dad had an Iris Blue MGA that was stolen when he was in college.  The car was never found.   I've always hoped to come across it, but chances are it returned to the Earth a long, long time ago!  (it was stolen in 1966)   If your car was originally titled to Marie Gearin in Abington MA----- let me know, as you'll certainly have a buyer!!  :)

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/20/18 7:09 p.m.

No issue having the MGB engine. Almost identical to the MGA engine. This is my 62 Mk 2 MGA coupe (I used MGA carbs on a 3 main 1963 MGB engine)

My car is a non-original colour - I have restored it twice, once in the late 1970s and again in the middle of the last decade. 

CJ
CJ Reader
9/20/18 7:31 p.m.

Always thought that the MGA coupe was a great looking car.  Kinda like a miniature XK120

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/20/18 7:53 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Oh, yes, yes, yes. Annie wants an MGA coupe. Annie is an enabler. I love Annie. An MGA coupe would only come after stringent investigation. I would love one!!!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
9/20/18 7:59 p.m.

Cool find  :)

take pictures AS FOUND , 

get it running and stopping and a safe driver

leave the dirt on for now , it  is only "barnfind dusty" once,

Post some pictures when you get it.....

Cheers

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/20/18 10:04 p.m.

Personally I think the barn find dust thing is hooey.  Wash it and clean it up.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
9/21/18 6:54 a.m.

Can't wait to see it

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/21/18 8:42 a.m.

Dirt isn't worth anything, those weirdos who buy rusted out hulks of Ferraris for millions are in a rarified place few understand.  Wash it, drive it, enjoy it. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/21/18 8:43 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:

Dirt is not patina, clean it up, and really see what you have.

This needs repeated over and over again.  Also, I don't think "patina" comes from sitting still in a bad environment for ~50 years, too.  Patina should be use, not the result of worn in silt or scratches and dents from people running into a still car.

I personally don't get the fascination with barn find condition, especially of 99% of that condition is because of the storage and not from use.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
9/21/18 9:20 a.m.

To the above, I agree.  That and the volume of "barn Find" that will dislodge it's self as the car is moved around will start the process of getting it clean.  I would also agree these cars do look really good in a darker color.  Having to loose the red interior might slow that process down, but at this point getting it running/stopping are the only things I am focused  on.

Before that, getting it into my garage is first.  To that end the car has it's original California Black plates.  The car was not "non-opt'ed", the current owner is working through that detail.  Then, he needs to find the keys.  As the car has not moved in any way from that day is was driven into it's location, other than an unknown number of earth quakes, these are the kinds of minor details that will be added to it's legacy.  I am looking forward to becoming it's next caretaker.

Pictures will be forth coming.

David 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/21/18 10:49 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Great looking MGA!   I love those knockoffs, the color---- everything!  

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
9/21/18 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

Only thing I don't love about those is the difficulty of getting my old, large self in & out.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/21/18 11:38 a.m.

The MGA is on my list of most beautiful cars. As something to drive, I hear they get very hot inside. I know a normal MGA does.

Pete

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/21/18 12:11 p.m.

Cars in "barn find" condition tend to be all original examples.  Since this one is not all original it's just dirt.

Plus, all of that "dust in crevices" would worry me.  If you start actually using the car, any moisture would likely get into those crevices where the dirt would hold it and thus give the tin worm a chance to take hold.

I'm sure the paint will still have plenty of patina after it's cleaned up.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/23/18 8:09 a.m.

The only way to preserve it is to leave it in the barn.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/23/18 5:12 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

In reply to wspohn :

Great looking MGA!   I love those knockoffs, the color---- everything!  

Makes for great brakes (they are 4 wheel Dunlop disc brakes used on a few later 'Deluxe' MGAs when they became redundant on discontinuance of the Twin Cam production.  But makes it very hard and expensive to find wheels - peg drive like a D type and go for mucho bucks today. Never used in 4 stud form on any other cars (well, the 99 copies of the Gordon Keeble GT also had similar ones) 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/24/18 6:19 p.m.

I’ve always wanted to put a modern drivetrain in an MGA coupe along with AC.  Same thing with a B/GT.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/24/18 7:13 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

leave the dirt on for now , it  is only "barnfind dusty" once,

You can neglect a car as many times as you want if you want it to be "barnfind dusty". Neglect is not sexy or desirable.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
10/2/18 10:47 p.m.

Still working on getting the pictures to post,  this is #1.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
10/2/18 10:50 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wLA9Hrulc1O2JaIgGDCrpfSjPgHwuq7bRjshHukeAfgsjXXwAs2UByoLn0Jw6zdp