Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/3/20 10:04 a.m.

Our 1967 Shelby GT350 has driven the line between original patina car and full restoration. We’ve grappled quite a bit with how to address the car’s cosmetic rust, but for now we’ve restored it underneath and left a good bit of patina on its topside.

Honestly, we’ve been mo…

Read the rest of the story

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
9/3/20 2:57 p.m.

Well done. I like the middle ground. Looks good but you can still drive it.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
9/5/20 8:02 p.m.

Looks great!  And there is nothing wrong with middle ground.  You can have a classic AND drive it too.

murphmi
murphmi New Reader
3/16/21 8:09 a.m.

The most important thing for me is what you said about being able, in good conscience, drive the thing in a rally and go for beers afterwards without fearing door dings in the parking lot (tho I would try to park it in a spot away from potential idiots).

I have a (rich) friend who regularly drove his vintage '29 Bentley, worth way more than I'm worth, in vintage races. I asked him how he could ever consider doing that--wasn't he worried about totaling it? He just smiled and replied, "That's what you have insurance for!" 

Thank you, Haggerty. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/16/21 5:32 p.m.

I think the biggest reason why you don't want to make it concourse is that it is approachable. It is friendly and inviting. Overly restored cars while absolutely gorges seem to loose there sole. They loose that intangible that somthing that makes them special yet friendly.  

I think you struck the perfect balance. Congrats on completing it and thank you for truly preserving that intangible special something that so many cars loose when they are restored to like new condition. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/18/21 8:08 a.m.

Thanks for all the nice comments. This is still one of my favorite cars.

Bardan
Bardan New Reader
6/28/21 3:59 p.m.

I was at a "Cars n Coffee" last Saturday and a guy showed up with an original Superbird. The car had through rust in every panel. Lots of it and in areas that if you cut it out intending on welding new in, you probably would just find more rust. He was just going to leave it that way. 

Looks like this Shelby got the right amount restore without over doing it.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/1/21 9:43 a.m.

I need to get the Shelby back on the lift and sort out a few mechanical bits as well. Never enough time!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qGz1KzDPE3O24P6FSn3U6z9eg9u3BSXhacsASTppZbtXeYeYSOfxY40GVy8RRnyb