Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/11/20 11:25 a.m.
feature_image

When working with a delicate tube frame and badly beaten fiberglass, there’s just one place that we trust to media blast away the old paint while not destroying the car itself: Blast Masters.

The crew knows and loves British cars and also races a Lotus Elan. They know the delicate nature of …

Read the rest of the story

BBGun
BBGun New Reader
3/16/20 5:34 p.m.

The picture of the post blast crumbling nose remind me of the National Geographic photos of the missing link skulls Dr. Leakey dug up in Africa. Probably about the time this Elva ran Sebring.

BB

mrichlen
mrichlen New Reader
3/17/20 9:11 a.m.

How far are you going to go with the restoration?  Show quality or good enough for the track.  Any thoughts on licensing for the street.  I am resoring an old aluminium S/R from the early/mid 50's.  No attempt is going to be made to make a show car, the body is just too soft.  I am not going to make myself crazy trying to iron out the body only to have it damaged by just leaning on it or smacking a cone in solo competition.  It has a title, but it has not been on the street in 50 years. 

mrichlen
mrichlen New Reader
3/17/20 9:14 a.m.

My project:

wspohn
wspohn Dork
3/17/20 1:37 p.m.

I did that sort of job on a Mistral bodied Buckler and on my TRV Grantura race car, and I still itch!  Agree that a blaster that  doesn't understand old lightweight GRP bodies can trash it in a few minutes.

Looks like it has had a typical hard career, but a lot of those 'owies' can be reinforced during restoration.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/18/20 2:29 p.m.

BBGun, LOL! Mrichlen, we plan to make the cars concours correct. We feel a significant car like this deserves to be made correct, so it will be welcomed at mosxt any event in the world. The pirce tag for perfection will only add about 20% to the overall cost of restoration.

One exception might be a move to disc brakes. They are so much easier to find and the last of these cars were equipped with disc brakes, so this would be a logical update. And nice project... looks like a Devin.

wspohn, yes, we are already correcting the body's flaws. Might add a few pounds, but worth it.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/18/20 3:45 p.m.

This is a really cool car. I guess in sprint race form these would've raced against Cooper Monacos and the like. Neat to see an endurance version.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/23/20 11:40 a.m.

slowbird, I was pretty excited to find out what the car was, and although a bit more complicated of a restoraztion, I am up for the challenge.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F5pbUImBeozhTwWNdyk1rjBsaE0nOQUznqnK9DQ3w43wFpLk7sQFPPvoU6fBO0qF