Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/25/20 1:19 p.m.
feature_image

While we gather parts and pick away at the engine, transmission, body and frame, we are sending out various parts to experts to get restored and repaired.

One of the bright spots on our badly ravished project, however: The original steering wheel came with the car. How do we know it’s origin…

Read the rest of the story

mrichlen
mrichlen New Reader
3/25/20 2:35 p.m.

Wow! that really came out nice.  I had not planned on restoring the steering wheel on my early 50's sports racer, but I may have to rethink a bit.  I plan on using the car for autocross (have to excercise it somehow) so I really should not use it.  My steering wheel is very similar to yours. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/26/20 7:28 a.m.

You might want to give Sarto a call. You guys know that we do almost everything ourselves here at the CMS workshop, but sometimes you need to kniow when to fold them, and send stuff out. This guy is really good at this. He only charges $200-300, as I remember, depending on the wheel.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
3/26/20 6:47 p.m.

Very nice restoration!  And that leads me to ask, is there some sort of modern plastic (*GASP*) that can be used that looks like wood and therefore allow the car to be raced with that wheel?  Or is it better to race with a modern wheel and replace with the facory wheel for shows and such.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/27/20 4:50 p.m.

Different organizations have different rules, but for racing... wooden wheel = bad idea.

I would show the car with that wheel, or maybe run an exhibition, but if I were to get serious, I would switch to something else. Damned shame, as it is so lovely.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M692y4cM92BRfnAtV4eyEYC7AQOQkt29rLbyjNnWxcmwYVYG5c1n5NoIM30TVmS7