Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/7/17 3:21 p.m.
feature_image

On the Elans, a rather crude steel mesh framework is bonded into the rocker panels, as well as the A and B pillars. As you might expect, after sitting in a field for almost 40 years, the lower parts of this mesh on our car was rather rusty.

In addition to increasing strength to the rocker panel and…

Read the rest of the story

wannacruise
wannacruise New Reader
3/7/17 5:03 p.m.

Excellent work. It's almost done, it looks like a car now. :)

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/12/17 9:06 p.m.

We really are making great progress, but it has been a lot of work. With Amelia ending early this weekend, I dutifully got back and got the rest of the frame welded up. The body is nearly done as well. While we already have the corners disassembled, we will need to start media blasting and painting suspension parts next.

classico23
classico23 New Reader
3/22/17 2:57 p.m.

What did you clip the wire mesh with? I have the worst time trying to cut this stuff - I asked the guy I purchased from - Wire Mesh Cutting and Mfg. - they use a waterjet machine for precision cutting - I tried aviation snips and it came out really sloppy.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
3/22/17 8:07 p.m.

Die Grinder with a cut off wheel?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/23/17 7:45 a.m.

Yes, we used a cut off wheel. It was pretty easy to work with. And I am starting to really love fiberglass dust (NOT!)

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/27/17 8:33 p.m.

I use a dermal multi max tool. Depending on the thickness and the particular fiberglass it can be cut virchally dust free and since it vibrates the dust that is creats just sits next to what you are cutting where as with a wheel that is spinning at hi rpm that flings it everywhere. They are basically like an old fashen cast cutter that were used for fiberglass casts. It is a much better option for dealing with fiberglass.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qPFgF4LRIx0gMao5geswDan76bCfK3bogVkMld025p1ffg8cyCXN6HJskqJLFuuS