David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/10/10 8:19 p.m.

The details about this car are on the Grassroots Motorsports site, but I figured you guys would enjoy it, too. Soon we'll be adding 10 years to our Porsche: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/duck-tail/

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
5/10/10 10:12 p.m.

Long hood?

Luke
Luke SuperDork
5/11/10 4:58 a.m.

Cool . Old 911's and newer 911's look more or less the same, so you can get away with that .

Also, I remember one of the British classic car mags de-spoilered their Carrera completely, and noted a slight increase in engine temps. (Apparently the whale-tail has some kind of cooling effect.)

WilD
WilD Reader
5/11/10 10:14 a.m.

There was a 911 "backdated" with silver painted fuchs and the '70s era Porsche stripe decal along the rocker panel somewhere around here locally. It was completely tail free and looked awesome.

I can see why you want to ditch the whale tail. They look out of place without the wide flairs and I'm not a fan of them on non-turbos either. I prefer the clean lines of a 911 absent any tail spoiler, but the duck tail is pretty cool and will be an improvement I think.

David S. Wallens
5/11/10 10:38 a.m.

No spoiler is my first choice. However, the aero numbers show that you want something back there.

David S. Wallens
5/18/10 9:31 a.m.

And a small update: The wing is getting fitted today. It should be painted and installed soon.

David S. Wallens
5/19/10 6:24 p.m.

Another update: Paint goes on soon.

David S. Wallens
5/25/10 9:59 a.m.

PS on the update: No, really, paint goes on soon. The fiberglass needed a bit of tweaking.

David S. Wallens
5/25/10 7:28 p.m.

Update!

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/replacing-whale-duck/

David S. Wallens
5/27/10 6:24 p.m.

Fin: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/quack/

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
5/28/10 9:03 a.m.

Okay well, I was fond of the whale tail. But I must say, the ducktail looks excellent--far better in person than in pix. There are a few reasons: -It looks understated -You don't see them very often -It makes you think twice about the car instead of accepting it at face value. -It can easily be converted back.

David S. Wallens
5/28/10 4:00 p.m.

Thanks. Four bolts and the whale is back. I think the duck will be around for a while, though.

masterjohnson
masterjohnson New Reader
6/7/11 8:04 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: No spoiler is my first choice. However, the aero numbers show that you want something back there.

it will be nice if it is with a spoiler. but that is just my opinion.

masterjohnson
masterjohnson New Reader
6/9/11 4:20 a.m.

well if that is how you see it i guess i cannot do anything more about it. for me it really looks good if it is with a spoiler maybe we just have different taste. not only it improves your car look but also your handling at high speed

Our Preferred Partners
a9FMDp1AJF0Y4G8l246oO47b0bMdleH887bmmYmx0v08YecUwRoZgAWD8RykjZAS