Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/11/19 12:40 p.m.

This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Classic Motorsports. Subscribe now.

By Tim Suddard, Publisher of Classic Motorsports

A few months ago I was …

Read the rest of the story

PatrickYoas
PatrickYoas New Reader
2/11/19 6:39 p.m.

I couldn’t help but notice the Schooler Cams at the top of the scrapbook cover. I used Frank when I lived in JAX for my Austin Healey cam regrinds and engine balancing. Very nice and knowledgeable guy!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/12/19 7:06 a.m.

Yes, too bad he retired. We used Schooler cams in our TR3

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/12/19 7:52 a.m.

I’m on a “remember Road America” page on Facebook and I published a picture from Porsche Park from the early 1980’s and the green shorts/yellow shirt dude mentioned that he was the guy walking down the center.  Kinda cool to help document history a bit.  

mapleglen
mapleglen New Reader
2/12/19 10:04 a.m.

My niece sent me a connection to many pictures oe Watkins Glen in the "BOG" days. That was thbe only time I ever got tear gassed, and I was being good as I had just started my teaching career.

John

husky450cr
husky450cr New Reader
9/17/22 10:46 a.m.

Very cool story.  While nothing close to the TR3 and its exploits, I've kept photo books of the autocrosses and kart races over the years...in hindsight, I wish I had done a better job labeling the photos with dates, locations and results.  It's still fun flipping thru, but more detail would have made it more that what it currently is...

rustriddenB
rustriddenB New Reader
9/17/22 3:51 p.m.

Nothing like the old photo scrap books... I have shots from the Glen that I recently sent to the IMRRC so they don't get tossed after I'm gone. I will also attempt to attach a couple of images from Hobo Hill in Belvale (Warwick) NY from the very early 70's...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/17/22 4:21 p.m.

Tracking history is an interesting thing.  Almost since the day he passed, I've been trying to find out about the racing history of my mentor, Chuck.  I know he was heavily involved with SCCA.  Supposedly he worked on the Triumph factory team for one or more of the 24 hour race series

Did racing in Hawaii while he was stationed there (Ctrl + F for "Chuck Sparks")
https://www.newspapers.com/image/259852531/?clipping_id=30746768&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJmcmVlLXZpZXctaWQiOjI1OTg1MjUzMSwiaWF0IjoxNjYzNDQ1NDU1LCJleHAiOjE2NjM1MzE4NTV9.IMx6VTiqQdkz_q0lNbtKG4wK1GDgNAAE8yWcVfwYxiA
https://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_16564.pdf
https://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_16560.pdf

That's about the extent though.  Plenty of hits on decades old websites recommending tips and tricks that he would use to get old Jags to work properly again.

rustriddenB
rustriddenB New Reader
11/6/23 10:46 a.m.

Ah, what simpler days. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HVuNW5bMEI9tNXYAjDenxxUNbIcWLpk7o9oPjRXpGqkMTSb8WsV0LrcqNI7NxmsZ