The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
9/29/21 12:02 p.m.

I’ve always believed that the term “elegant design” encapsulates something of a broad-ranging minimalist philosophy. Perhaps it is best described by famed architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who once said, “Less is more.” 

Excess seldom satisfies. I’ve trie…

Read the rest of the story

Daisy911
Daisy911 New Reader
1/9/22 11:08 a.m.

Peter, it's funny you should mention Amelia (and Werks Reunion). I met you at the 2017 Amelia island concours and Werks; they were both incredible events. I saw you talking to Hurley and you looked familiar, but I couldn't quite figure out who. I believe it was Hurley who told me your name. Needless to say, I was floored as I always admired your cars. I still have issue 1 of Porsche Classic with your signature.

Enough digression; I Live in Philadelphia, and love the Daytona coupe that Dr. Simeone has in the museum. It was the very first car in the National Register, and it is still driven regularly on the fantastic demo days put on by the Museum. 
I believe that Dr. Simeone is of the same opinion as you; maintain but not restore to the nth degree. The Daytona's body is well worn, as are many of the other cars there. Yet, they are taken outside in the back, driven by Dr. Simeone, and driven in mild anger by Kevin. They have the patina of loved and well used race cars. It's one of the things that makes the Simeone a very special and unique museum.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/9/22 4:06 p.m.

I am reminded of a Rolls Royce that appeared repeatedly at our local show in primer without chrome.  I never asked the owner whether he had just run low on money during the restoration or whether it was a statement he wanted to make about over restored cars or about overly priggish Rolls owners.

I can see retaining the scars of battle in a vintage racer that ran the Mille Miglia or some such and came off the track and was put away as is, but I can't agree with cars that aren't in that league and are not refurbished to at least a decent degree because the owner just doesn't want to bother.  Their choice of course but the question is whether it should be welcomed at a concours show.

lhoboken
lhoboken
1/10/22 2:31 p.m.

Peter,

I agree with your view of "concours" automobiles and how they may appear. Bill Warner indeed has allowed race cars to be part of his exibition. they add a wonderful excitement to his event. Years ago we went to the Amelia event when the Trans-Am reunion along with you and other greats were represented.

We were walking the fairway display with the lovely classic autos on the left and Trans Am cars on the right as you toured the grounds. The Trans Am fellows (you know the type) thought they would light up the procedings by starting their respective cars. The roar was huge, like "gentlemen start your engines" huge. When the noise started, it looked as though someone had tilted the fairway as everyone moved toward the Trans Am side. The mechanics and caretakers of those cars just laughed. Concours indeed.

Best wishes,

Larry Hoboken

coupe 57

tolyarutunoff
tolyarutunoff New Reader
12/21/22 3:31 p.m.

decades ago robert wiliams (don't call me bob) ran his ex-lemans cunningham in vintage races all over.  he cleaned it of course, but the french bugs that were embedded in the paint were there to stay, as was a general front 'racing discoloration.'  people were always telling him to restore it, and eventually he did.  i think the last time i saw him was in chicago around '90.  i bet he wouldn't do that today, but the vintage scene in the '70s and '80s was definitely different from that of today.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
12/21/22 4:33 p.m.

In reply to tolyarutunoff :

I admit when I was cutting out the tree that had grown up through the Black Jack spl. All I could see was the finished car polished and bright.  Not this ugly used up piece of detritus with multi different layers of paint and thick bondo goobered over the damaged fiberglass. 
    But when I sold it nearly 40 years latter oi left the stone bruises and original  paint  as Patina.   Last I heard it sits in the Packard museum  that way.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SkfpNoKGf4xzxrTZnYmzL5wsx2VT5JKgQWk7UaH2x0qSxU8CjNnu1YUR4xtH08MD