Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
10/7/14 3:01 p.m.

Classic Motorsports just started a new contest. And yes, it's open to everybody–even you.

The rules for the Show Us Your Shop contest are simple: send us three photos of your shop plus a 300-word description. On December 31, 2014, our editors will pick their favorites in our three classes: small, large and commercial.

The winning shop owners in each class will receive thousands of dollars’ worth of prizes thanks to our partners:

Battery Tender: batterytender.com
Chubb Collector Car Insurance: chubbcollectorcar.com
CRC Industries: crcindustries.com/auto/
Eastwood: eastwood.com

The winning workspaces will also be featured in an upcoming issue of Classic Motorsports.

To enter, simply mail the three photos plus your 300-word description in a single e-mail to shop@classicmotorsports.net. Please remember to include your phone number and mailing address in the email to make the shipping of prizes quicker.

More information is here: ClassicMotorsports.net/shop

Good luck, everybody. Let me know if you have any questions.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
10/10/14 7:39 p.m.

Well mine is just in the final stages of completion. Not anything like those photos buts my 24 x 24 stand alone man cave that will house my TR8 street car and TR8 vintage racer. I've also told the wife I'm putting a beer fridge, cot and sleeping bag out there.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
10/10/14 10:27 p.m.

I'd love to add some accommodations to my 1.5 car attached garage, but it's full of MG's. I'd have to clean off the workbench for a place to sleep...

Needless to say, I won't be entering but will follow with interest!

sobastrace
sobastrace New Reader
10/11/14 12:30 a.m.

I would be embarrassed for anyone to see the hovel where I wrench.

TAParker
TAParker Reader
10/11/14 7:51 a.m.

Awesome!!! This should be a great contest!!!!

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/11/14 9:58 a.m.

Oh the pains of getting old!

When younger I built a 1,600 sq.ft. garage complete with lift, air compressor, welder, etc. to supplement my attached 2 car garage for my daily drivers. Of course I had a full time job and spent a lot of time out of town & out of country doing that job. So my huge garage spent a lot (most) of time as a storage location for my various "in process" projects. I considered myself lucky to keep everything functional and several acres mowed on my limited time off.

Then disease set in and I had to retire for health reasons. So in retirement I have all the time in the world. But because of the same health issues, I sold my nice big place and moved to a patio home. The little 2-1/2 car garage is just big enough to park, but not really work on, two cars.

Don't waste a minute, don't find excuses, get out there and enjoy whatever garage or work area you have. Time flies!

WilD
WilD HalfDork
10/17/14 9:51 a.m.
Rupert wrote: Don't waste a minute, don't find excuses, get out there and enjoy whatever garage or work area you have. Time flies!

A very poignant example of a concern that has been growing on my mind lately. At 35, I keep working hard and trying to save. I have been putting off hobbies and trips, etc. I'm starting to think I'm missing the life I get trying to have enough money for the life I want.

I wish I could enter the contest, but my garage is an embarrassing jumble of the former contents of my basement, post flood. It wasn't really much of a shop even before that. I need to start putting my Triumph Bonneville back together after being rear-ended back in August, but both it and my tools are buried.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/17/14 10:35 a.m.

In reply to WilD:

At 35 you have time. If you choose to take it.

Today is a great time to start taking that time. Tomorrow isn't quite as good but beats the hell out of next year. Money is nice, but!

Good Luck!!

Rupert

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
10/18/14 2:23 p.m.

Maybe not what you really had in mind. A bit lower down that Grass Roots lever, as we're honestly working on a dirt and plywood floor, but good enough to be resurrecting three cars at once in there . . .

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
10/21/14 8:34 a.m.

I built one. The many stages....

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/shop.html

Its not a pretty one, its one to be used.

Flygirl
Flygirl New Reader
11/15/14 6:51 p.m.

Too bad Canadian subscribers are excluded from this contest. We need good shops up here. Importantly, protection from cold in the winter, and heat/humidity in the summer.

It would be interesting if you further recognized shops with a category specific to non-commercial individuals that have produced or continue to produce restorations or complete projects, a distinction between just a place to store cars that rarely drive, owners who horde vast quantities of memorabilia, and artifact/toy/trinket collections and the shop that is actually used for working in. Not to take anything away from high-end storage or museum spaces, but a clinically clean shop that only gets a Swiffer duster 'round the margins once a month it isn't everyone's idea of a "shop". Get out that welder!

Good luck to the winner(s).

Cheers, Rachel

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
12/1/14 3:26 p.m.

I'm curious to see even the runners up or why they weren't chosen. Either way I'm excited.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xX4aORXeeXZgHeCSxzrrGcaAmm2QECit3eJ0nuUQeuRqrkAbkBcmz0wRz1NXN3rF