Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
3/11/09 9:45 a.m.

The TR6 can climb from zero to 60 mph in 10 seconds. At least, that’s what Triumph claimed early in the car’s production history.

These numbers have always seemed pretty ambitious to us, as 12 to 14 seconds seems normal for TR6s in the real world. However, even if we give Triumph the benefit of th…

Read the rest of the story

roverguy
roverguy New Reader
1/9/20 1:50 p.m.

If you have a pre 72 car you should look for a later Wide port circle B head, they are known to have better flow out of the box. There are plenty of late model engines around for short money.

FYI you will need a wide port intake manifold also; Exhaust is the same.

I picked up a wide port head for $125 (stalled project) that had a recent valve job for my 70 TR6 that I intend on installing.

Never heard of the new Weber, but they are much less expensive that DCOE's; bet they are not made in Italy either.

I installed SU HS6's on my TR250 and that was a nice upgrade.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
1/9/20 5:34 p.m.

The TR6 suffered from the same issue that the TR250 had - it was a car that was very little faster than the TR-4A, because there was only a scant few more horsepower in the emission gutted straight six than the old four banger. It was down 46 bhp on the injected home market version that did 0-60 in the 8 second range.

It also had some interesting design eccentricities that required eliminating for those wanting to race them.  Like only half the thrust washer shims a regular engine had which lead to early end float issues, and rear driveshafts that had a tendency to lock the sliding shafts under hard acceleration and cornering. Racers changed the thrusts regularly and replaced the rear axle shafts with units that carried a much better design that would actually slide reliably when called on to do so.

Credit where credit is due, though. The cut-rate styling overhaul done on the TR4 shape transformed that car's looks and cost far less than a normal redesign normally did. It is a handsome car.  If only it didn't look like a female dog squatting for a whizz when under hard acceleration, due to excessively soft rear springs being specified.

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta
1/10/20 9:48 a.m.

I'd like to have a word with the guy that considers head porting to be an "easy upgrade". Unless you consider writing the check to the mechanic to be the hard part.

keithstewart
keithstewart None
1/17/20 5:30 p.m.

It would be interesting to know the similarities and differences between this kit and the Weber 45MCHH kit that was put together a few years ago. Obviously, the air cleaners are a bit different with a KN type air filter being provided on the earlier 45MCHH. I have a set of these on my wife's TR6 and they have been bullet-proof - requiring no tuning in the eight years we have owned the car. We also have the GP2 cam - a great combination. BTW, although you mention the carb is 1/2 a Weber 45, I believe the MCHH refers to the fact that it is a Motor Cycle Half Height carb.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
1/18/20 11:59 a.m.

FWIW, a lot of Mikuni HSR carbs are being used on things like TRs and MGs as well.

murphmi
murphmi New Reader
1/20/22 10:17 a.m.

You can still get the performance competition manual that was written by Kas Kasner and published by British Leyland for only $12.95. https://trf.zeni.net/TR6-TR250GB/416.php#navbar

In it, he gives a very good description of how to port the head, as well as a LOT of other tricks to improve the TR6, even if you don't plan to race it. 
I used their similar manual many years ago to prepare a Spifire for SCCA racing and ported my head using a a Dremel tool. Car went like stink, and the manual saved me a lot of $. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/20/22 1:34 p.m.

Wonder if you can get down to a 0-60 in the same range as the home market Stock TR6 PI  (8.2 secs.)

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
1/21/22 8:56 p.m.

I'll try to get a 0-60 time with mine sometime.  It still needs some tuning towards the upper end.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/23/22 12:38 p.m.

My TR6 with ported (early) head, SU carbs., comparession ration in the 10:1 range and a mild cam does 0-60 in less than 10 seconds and is still 100% streetable.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5EDFcwFA1aqnTf4vhOjGPwfkwAThha5axcTkDYDlSm0i2Hh6TCEf5Jf6shyC8quC