1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/6/09 12:04 p.m.

I drove the Mini to the Mead Garden British car show in Orlando. Normally Orlando is exactly an hour away from here, but I took the scenic route. Made it in 90 minutes as promised by Mapquest. I found an even better route for the drive home. The more the car is driven, the happier it seems.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/6/09 12:36 p.m.

All British cars are happier when they're driven. It's true.

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
4/6/09 1:07 p.m.

I spent Saturday afternoon waking our '79 Westfalia from its winter hibernation, and all of Sunday driving it 420 miles to Scappoose, OR and back on a mission to pick up an engine core. Makes a surprisingly good shop truck.

This was the warmest day since last September or so, and there was zero traffic heading south on I-5. Beautiful views of the Olympics to the west, and the Cascades to the east -- Mts. Baker, Ranier, St. Helens, Adams and Hood all loomed large (from Scappoose, you can see the latter three all at once).

Nice to get off the island once in a while

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
4/6/09 2:28 p.m.

Started to clear out the garage of all of the construction materials from my 'house refurb project from hell' so I can get my other car back in there. Luckily, my parents have been storing it for the past 10 months at their place. On a positive note, my 16' x 6' insulated storage shed is complete. Now all of my spare car parts have a place to live, and I have a place to sleep when the misses gets upset.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/6/09 3:14 p.m.

I took the TR-6 out to the Mead Garden car show as well. Picked up a toneau in great shape for $75. Walked around for a few hours checking out all the nice machinery. Of course I fell in love with a little Bugeye. I'm going to have to get one of those one day.

Made it home just as the sun was setting. I grabbed my fishing rod, and headed out to the beach for a bit of surf casting. I actually caught a few fish and cooked them up for dinner that same night. Saturday was a good day!

Cosworth1
Cosworth1 New Reader
4/6/09 3:44 p.m.

While you were out driving your Mini, I was in the garage readying mine for the upcoming show season.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
4/6/09 4:29 p.m.

Threw a 3rd birthday party for my little boy.

Dealt with this today, but still managed to get out and buy some supplies.

Valvoline VR-1 oil and a K&N HP-3001 filter for the GT6. Decent upgrades.

Driving season should make it by oh June...

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
4/6/09 5:55 p.m.

We've had 3 feet of snow in the last two weeks, most of which has melted, so I slithered the Jeep down the county road to town to play a concert with the Montrose (Colorado) Community Concert Band (I'm a sax player). Had the MR2 out in early March when the weather was warm and the road was dry (!). Hope to get it out again if real spring arrives before May 1st. I'm getting ready to put on new shocks as soon as the weather dries out and I can get the mud shoveled out of the garage.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
4/6/09 6:42 p.m.

I drove my '69 ~MGB~ for the first time this year.

I put a new top on the MG last week and it's still stretching (I think) so I left the top up. (but I drove the Miata later on Saturday with the top-down).)

As far as work, I put new brake pads all way 'round on the Miata.

On Sunday, I put new brakes (and hub bearing) on the race-Spridget. I'm running it in the Jefferson 500 in a few weeks.

And sometime this week, I need to do brake pads all around in my two van too.

I can't get any "breaks" from these brakes.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
4/6/09 7:19 p.m.

I powdercoated the cam cover on the BDA that about to go in to the Morgan.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
4/6/09 7:38 p.m.

I washed the BMW race car and the Mini, then took the '65 Ford pickup for a long drive to one of the better hobby shops in the area. Came home and took the Mini out to pick up supper. So, I tinkered with all my toys and satisfied the 'other' hobby as well. A good day.

Shinsen774
Shinsen774 Reader
4/6/09 8:30 p.m.

I went over to the next county where the volunteer fire department had a car show with about 60 cars including 4 MGBs, a '56 T-bird, a '55 Crown Vic, a '54 Olds 88, a 55 Chevy, the normal 60s and 70s muscle car crowd, some hot rods, a rat rod with Midget seats, a few Vettes, and more.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
4/6/09 9:42 p.m.

I helped my friend mark drop the motor & trans on his wife's '72 914.

I didn't get much done on my cars, but I did drive my 914 with the top off everywhere this weekend, so I have that going for me.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/6/09 10:58 p.m.

The harder you drive a classic Mini, the more it loves you. And old Land Rovers feel like they're about to collapse - until you get their tires dirty. Then they become the most solid, reliable vehicles on earth. Okay, they feel that way anyhow.

I spent the weekend scuba diving in Utah at 5500' above sea level. In 92 degree water. In the snow. Weird.

gblawson
gblawson New Reader
4/7/09 5:37 a.m.

I got most of the 'bits and pieces' back on the car...took it for a shake down ride and got 'shook down'...lost complete power, like someone turned off the key (in fact, i think it might be the ign switch?)...anyway..had a nice ride on a flatbed!

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
4/7/09 6:24 a.m.

Well, my plan was to continue prepping the TVR for sale and help my kids with their racing kart, but sadly, I spend most of the weekend chasing a dead animal smell in my kids bathroom. I did have a chance on Sunday to take my Mustang out for a short drive, the first of the year. Then yesterday it got cold and snowed. Yuck.

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon New Reader
4/7/09 6:43 a.m.

I tried really hard to work on my 59 Fiat 600 and could NOT get motivated. I sat there trying to decide what to work on first. Since that didn't work, I moved onto the Mustang and hit a wall there too. After two attempts to wrench on the cars, I decided to do some mindless yard work.

I am really having a hard time getting started on the 600. I don't know why it is so difficult for me to get into the groove. Maybe this week will be better. Brett

Ian F
Ian F Reader
4/7/09 8:22 a.m.

I was bad. House chores on Sat and bike ride on Sun.... so the Spit6 sat on the lift in the garage, untouched... Unfortunately, it's also surrounded by an unorganized mess of tools and Volvo drivetrain parts... a situation I need to make progress on tonight. I need to have the GT6 brakes on the car within a week or two.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
4/7/09 8:49 a.m.

Nothing car related.

Did hike a new mountain bike trail - weeks away from that opening.

Caressed the GT6 and looked at the Land Rover. This week the injector pump comes out of the Landy. And this coming weekend I will be in St. Louis for the Easter Car show - oh, and Easter with the family, too.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
4/7/09 9:24 a.m.
Brett Melancon wrote: I tried really hard to work on my 59 Fiat 600 and could NOT get motivated. I sat there trying to decide what to work on first. Since that didn't work, I moved onto the Mustang and hit a wall there too. After two attempts to wrench on the cars, I decided to do some mindless yard work. I am really having a hard time getting started on the 600. I don't know why it is so difficult for me to get into the groove. Maybe this week will be better. Brett

I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like that also. I may even go out and start working, but after about 1/2 hour of nothing going right, I give up and do something else. Don't know why.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
4/7/09 12:56 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Brett Melancon wrote: I tried really hard to work on my 59 Fiat 600 and could NOT get motivated. I sat there trying to decide what to work on first. Since that didn't work, I moved onto the Mustang and hit a wall there too. After two attempts to wrench on the cars, I decided to do some mindless yard work. I am really having a hard time getting started on the 600. I don't know why it is so difficult for me to get into the groove. Maybe this week will be better. Brett
I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like that also. I may even go out and start working, but after about 1/2 hour of nothing going right, I give up and do something else. Don't know why.

I am really glad to hear other people say this! I am not alone!!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
4/7/09 3:33 p.m.

I took David's 911 to the Kruse auction for some auction reporting. I am here to report that the only car I saw sold was a million dollar Alfa that was once owned my Mussolini. A very beautiful car and worth every penny. The 911 ran well and i even got an offer on the car which is always a nice compliment.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
4/7/09 7:47 p.m.

I put the pickup truck back together so I could get the benz back in the garage. I had to do a wheel bearing and axle seals, the hardest part was having to go and order up the parts and deal with a machine shop.

I also went for a ride on the buell up the Frisco. I almost got run off the road by a woman not paying attention which is always fun.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
4/7/09 10:18 p.m.

Benzer,

What kind of Buell do you have? I have an XB-12s. Nice to know Im not the only one!

dougie
dougie New Reader
4/7/09 10:31 p.m.

I tested a new built motor ...................................then had a barbeque.

Dougie<a href="securedownload"><a href="securedownload-1">

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jLiFTSSawI968V2iRstkQ8hZOb3QdZewjAdHcPBmwUC5JFG1oBFt9JkSFW7hOVw9