David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/25/11 6:06 p.m.

Something we haven't really discussed before: stripes. What's your poison? Rocker panel stripes? Twin stripes over the top of the car? An offset stripe that goes from bumper to bumper? A stripe that wraps between the front tires?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
1/25/11 6:13 p.m.

I hate stripes!!!

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/4487/

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
1/25/11 6:28 p.m.

Even uglier in person. Yuck!!!

Dave_Jorgensen
Dave_Jorgensen New Reader
1/25/11 7:12 p.m.

Our white Miata was invisible until we put twin blue Shelby stripes over the car and hardtop - just like a GT350. The day we did it, we started getting waves and a bunch of thumbs-up. I'm still having trouble posting pictures from my desktop [can someone please explain to me how to do it] but if you look under my name at our Miata pics, you'll see it turned out pretty fine. I don't normally like white cars, but I sure do like ours. Dave

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
1/25/11 8:36 p.m.
tr8todd wrote: Even uglier in person. Yuck!!!

Totally true!! Well after the accident at least.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/25/11 10:29 p.m.
Dave_Jorgensen wrote: [can someone please explain to me how to do it]

Click here for some help, but let me know if you need more.

(I used the "copy image location" trick to show this one from your Reader's Rides entry.)

Gorgeous shot, beautiful car!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/25/11 10:42 p.m.

I've always liked the look of Grand Sport stripes.

On almost anything.

Also, stripes that intersect a gumball number panel make me smile.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/26/11 5:55 a.m.

You forgot BRE Datsun stripes.

I like Shelby stripes, but they are so-overdone these days I'm almost tired of seeing them. I like the Gran Sport stripes; less is often more. Rocker stripes are ok on certain cars of the 70s (Datsun Z's).

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/26/11 6:55 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

No stripes, ever.

ggarrard
ggarrard Reader
1/26/11 9:47 a.m.

I think it depends on the application - some just seem to fit, others not..

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/26/11 10:41 a.m.

We have off-set "driver's edge" stripes on both MINI's... the g/f has been debating for 5 years about putting similar stripes on here Spitfire.

I'm somewhat indefferent. The only time my car has had stripes was as a joke (counterfiet MINI) and the stripes were magnetic.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
1/26/11 10:49 a.m.

Maybe on my race car, but not my GT6.

Jfarr
Jfarr None
1/26/11 12:40 p.m.

Stripes are cool

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
1/26/11 1:08 p.m.

The big problem with stripes is the cost to paint them.

I had considered some for the GT6. 2 white ones running the down the bonnet and body.

But then my paint guy told me it was going to cost me a few more hours of labour.

Bye bye.

Still if I ever have a chance I'll be sure to have some fun with the race car. Can cheat with some vinyl.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/26/11 4:37 p.m.

I always liked this type stripe on Z cars.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
1/26/11 8:35 p.m.

BMW Motorsport stripes?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/26/11 10:41 p.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: The big problem with stripes is the cost to paint them. (snip) Can cheat with some vinyl.

Yep. The stripes on the MINI's are vinyl and that's what she had planned for the Spitfire.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
1/27/11 8:00 a.m.

I say some cars are "stripeable" and others are not. Morgans are simply not stripe-worthy. Cobras are for sure worthy of the stripes.

Leo

NCtim
NCtim New Reader
1/31/11 5:07 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Hey David, I had a '69 TR6 that a fellow artist hand-striped after the restoration. Just a nice double stripe down the contour line of the sides. Very nice.

If it's a sticker or decal I say, "No way!" I won't pay for them at a dealer, I make them take it off the car and the invoice, along with their dealer plaque they like to stick on back of a new car.

I bought a Cadillac a few years ago and I made my point about the dealer advertisement on the trunk lid coming off before I picked the car up.

Well I picked the car up and the decal was still on the trunk. It was Friday afternoon and I was ready for the weekend so I just took the the car.

After fuming about it over the weekend, I did the logical thing. Being in advertising, I took the model of print and web marketing billing guidelines and sent them a monthly bill for ad placement.

As I drive quite a bit in my line of work I outlined how many subscribers (and page views) I had based on vehicle counts for the interstates I drove and the miles I drove every month, did my calculations, added my placement commissions, supplied the market research and invoiced them accordingly.

Needless to say, they picked the car up, removed the plaque, and apologized like crazy. But it took them a month before anyone in accounting and marketing could figure out why they were invoiced from my company.

As I had made my request with the salesman and sales manager, and we shook hands on the deal, we had an oral contract . . . Long story, they paid it and I ended up doing marketing for them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
em2ERiMzrRuV3EN2gN8WGvnijnMRCBgMkQh3doj5SV9CdL1uPpSJXLwRoUJYj5jO