1 2
svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/10/15 1:06 p.m.

So 20 years ago when we were young we thought we knew all the fastest cars, stock unmodified, well with what we know now how would you rank the pure sports cars of the 90s? (ie non-exotic FE/RWD Coupes):

  1. 1997 Mazda RX-7 RS (Beat an 07 M3 at Tsukuba) 10 stock cars race. check out the street tires after lol.
  2. 1994 Toyota Supra RZ (Beat an 03 M3 CSL ")
  3. 1999 Chevrolet Corvette C5 Z51 (motor should be in these cars^^^^)
  4. 1999 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG ($72k M3 competitor)
  5. 1993 Porsche 968 Turbo S
  6. 1993 BMW M3 (E36)
  7. 1995 Ford Mustang Cobra R (Beat an 05 M5 at Willow Springs)

If I could afford it, I would buy all 7 and invite 6 drivers to VIR.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/10/15 4:47 p.m.

If I had to pick from your list, it would be the Honda S2000. Everything else is a GT.

If I were writing the list, it would be Lotus Elise #1 and NA Miata #2. Not sure if the Boxter makes it under your exotic radar, but I would include it at #3 even if it goes over my 3000 lb filter for anything that calls itself a sportscar. I don't think anyone else was playing during that decade.

Its a weight thing with me. Anybody can have weight and power, takes an engineer with sports-car focus to make it light and quick.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/11/15 12:23 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: If I had to pick from your list, it would be the Honda S2000. Everything else is a GT. If I were writing the list, it would be Lotus Elise #1 and NA Miata #2. Not sure if the Boxter makes it under your exotic radar, but I would include it at #3 even if it goes over my 3000 lb filter for anything that calls itself a sportscar. I don't think anyone else was playing during that decade. Its a weight thing with me. Anybody can have weight and power, takes an engineer with sports-car focus to make it light and quick.

Shoot, I mistakenly put the S2000 on the list, it's not a coupe lol

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/13/15 6:22 a.m.

Don't forget the Viper.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/13/15 10:56 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Don't forget the Viper.

Oh I didn't, but in 97 that was an exotic going after Ferrari 550s.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
7/13/15 5:44 p.m.

I'd still take a 87 Buick GN.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/14/15 10:31 a.m.
scottdownsouth wrote: I'd still take a 87 Buick GN.

The FBI pursuit vehicle lol, no manual.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
7/14/15 10:58 a.m.
svxsti wrote: 5. 1993 Porsche 968 Turbo S

I didn't even know such a cars exists. So, I googled and found "Only 16 were produced in total and only for sale in mainland Europe". That explains it...

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/14/15 9:17 p.m.
WilD wrote:
svxsti wrote: 5. 1993 Porsche 968 Turbo S
I didn't even know such a cars exists. So, I googled and found "Only 16 were produced in total and only for sale in mainland Europe". That explains it...

pics

Beat an 07 STi @ Hockenheim

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
7/16/15 11:06 a.m.

You mentioned the 968 Turbo S, but not the 911 Turbo. That would be my choice. Although the Acura NSX is also on my list. But No 1 for me is the Porsche.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
7/16/15 3:31 p.m.

I have a '97 Mustang Cobra, which I would say probably would be in better company on your list than the '95 R as they only built 250 of those. (but perhaps not at the top of the list. they are fun for... different reasons)

I think the '95R and the 968 do not belong as they are "exotic" due to limited production numbers.

what about the E36M3?

92dxman
92dxman Dork
7/16/15 3:57 p.m.

How come no Z31 TT 300ZX? No 3000GT VR-4?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/16/15 6:58 p.m.
92dxman wrote: How come no Z31 TT 300ZX? No 3000GT VR-4?

Exactly.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/16/15 7:36 p.m.

And just using the cars on your list, I'm going to stand up for the Supra. So smooth, so solid. Sadly, still so pricy.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/16/15 7:51 p.m.

Im finding that the mk4 supra interior is aging so badly it gives the car an odd beautiful/ugly dichotomy that lessens its appeal to me.

As a sports car you only had to drive, i'd put the Rx7 on top. As a sports car you had to own too i'd put the c5 and m3 on top for practical reasons.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
7/16/15 8:15 p.m.

Not on the list but less rare than a 968 turbo, 928 GTS, a little girthy but so what

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/16/15 8:18 p.m.

928gts

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/17/15 1:04 p.m.
92dxman wrote: How come no Z31 TT 300ZX? No 3000GT VR-4?

The 3000GT aka GTO is not RWD and the 300zx Turbo was a tank in the US that was heavier than an LT1 and could get beat by an RX8 at Willow Springs or by a Prelude Type S in it's homeland at Tsukuba.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/17/15 1:11 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I have a '97 Mustang Cobra, which I would say probably would be in better company on your list than the '95 R as they only built 250 of those. (but perhaps not at the top of the list. they are fun for... different reasons) I think the '95R and the 968 do not belong as they are "exotic" due to limited production numbers. what about the E36M3?

Mainly because a Miata could beat it at Grattan Raceway or a Nissan Silvia at Phillip Island. I remember test driving one in the 90s and I hated the understeer and snap oversteer that could take you off the road ass end first thanks to the live axle. This list is pretty much to show how good the RX7 and Supra chassis is for V8 swaps ;)

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/17/15 1:16 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: 928gts
oldtin wrote: Not on the list but less rare than a 968 turbo, 928 GTS, a little girthy but so what

Mainly because it was exotic car priced in the 90s and could be beat by a 968 Club Sport in it's homeland at Hockenheim. Again the list is just to show how well the RX7 and Supra chassis is for swaps. The only modern comparison I could make is a GT86 with an STi swap, the former for the trailer and the latter for the commute.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/17/15 2:36 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: If I had to pick from your list, it would be the Honda S2000. Everything else is a GT.

Mazda RX7 was 2500lbs in some trims. I would not really call it a GT.

Is a GTR considered a sports car in terms of a list like this?

If I could afford it, I would buy all 7 and invite 6 drivers to VIR.

What was it? Best Motoring or some other Japanese car series would reguarly do things like this.

How come no Z31 TT 300ZX? No 3000GT VR-4?

Not even the best sports cars from those companies.

Silvia, A31 Cefiro, and RWD Skyline are better than a 300ZX and the 3000GT VR4 is just terrible an Eclipse is a better sports car let alone the EVO options that were available overseas. When you have a 4 door sport compact being vastly superior than your supercar fighter you failed.

This list is pretty much to show how good the RX7 and Supra chassis is for V8 swaps ;)

V8 swapped RX7s are a horror to behold in my eyes and I would never swap a MK4 supra lol.

Anyways if you are talking about ranking cars that would be excellent with V8 swaps then R33 and R34 Skylines or a S14-S15 Silvia must be on the list above a car like a Cobra R.

I'm curious how a Autech S14 or a Nismo S15 would compare to a 968 Turbo S. Alpine A610 as well.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/17/15 3:31 p.m.
I'm curious how a Autech S14 or a Nismo S15 would compare to a 968 Turbo S. Alpine A610 as well.

No comparison, the 968 has 301bhp, it's like comparing a C5 Vette to a Miata MZR. The Autech is faster than a 944 S2 at Tsukuba.

I would love to have an NA Supra with a stock LS7 motor, would be the closest I ever get to an LFA lol

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/18/15 12:21 a.m.
svxsti wrote:
dean1484 wrote: 928gts
oldtin wrote: Not on the list but less rare than a 968 turbo, 928 GTS, a little girthy but so what

Mainly because it was exotic car priced in the 90s and could be beat by a 968 Club Sport in it's homeland at Hockenheim. Again the list is just to show how well the RX7 and Supra chassis is for swaps. The only modern comparison I could make is a GT86 with an STi swap, the former for the trailer and the latter for the commute.

Having lived with both (regular 968 and a s4) I would take the gts hands down every day of the week over any 968. What some hot foot can do with a car at a track does not impress me. What it is like to live with a car and use it every day is what is important. By the way who wins on the autobahn. I did 180 in my s4 and it still was accelerating but I wimped out. I don't thing a 968 can do that. ( don't know if a club sport can). My s4 had a top speed well over 200. Porsche way under speced there cars on the stat sheets. And lastly the GTS was a off the shelf car and available in the us. The 968 you reference is comparatively rare car. Somthing like 50 Made I think. Wasn't it only made for homologation purposes? and I don't think it came to the states. Not sure on that though. So explain to me again how the 968 is better than a 928gts. I just don't see it.

Edited for clarity 7/19

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/18/15 12:43 a.m.

Wait I get it if you are not a supra or rx fan boy you are going to feel the hate in this thread.

Well for the record I never was a supra fan and the FF movies reaffirmed that for me. I also have had all generations of RXs and the are good cars. Your comment about live rear axles made me laugh. Learn how to drive the car and it wont kill you. By your logic then 930s must be out as they were notoriously good at swapping ends. But a properly driven one will spank the entire list.

By the way how much did a AMG CLK 55 cost new. Was that a 100k car? It is also a GT car. Grand touring is different from sports car.

I think your list needs some revamping to properly sort out your initial question.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
7/18/15 3:11 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I think your list needs some revamping to properly sort out your initial question.

It reads like someone printed out the car list from Gran Turismo 2 and threw darts at it.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
siXiCMrNpIqrvNlZYmZL4pFZ3CjT66b3VJjwryMGFxhxYKw4D1saSxXRbvU0KAFM