Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/16/09 8:18 a.m.

Flick on the radio during the summer of 1964, and there was a good chance you’d hear tunes praising some of the generation’s best machines: the Corvette Sting Ray, Jaguar XK-E and the awesome Cobra. Enthusiasts lusted after them, and the cars quickly become pop-culture icons.

Late in 1963, singers Jan & Dean released the album “Drag City” with the help of Beach Boy Brian Wilson; by the summer of 1964, one of the album’s singles, “Dead Man’s Curve,” was a top-10 hit. That same summer, The Rip Chords—their name a play on the device that releases a drag racer’s parachute—had a top-100 hit with their tune “Hey Little Cobra.”

Both of these songs focused on the hottest rides of the day. If you had the money, the most bitchin’ car you could own was a Jaguar XK-E, Corvette Sting Ray or Shelby Cobra. These were the supercars of their day, although that day is now almost 40 years ago and the word “supercar” most likely had not even been penned.

While Jan & Dean sang, “I was cruisin’ in my Sting Ray late one night, when an XK-E pulled up on the right,” The Rip Chords praised Shelby’s latest beast: “I took my Cobra down to the track, hitched to the back of my Cadillac. Everyone was there just a-waiting for me. There were plenty of Sting Rays and XK-Es.”

Read the rest of the story

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
3/20/11 6:18 p.m.

For me its a case of either/or although I'll admit a secret lust for an E type convertible.

Our Preferred Partners
CfmHLD2Yn7uXwXE2c6fDyjCxS4Mq6ERtYmzB0IgAL5V5mrDMrnajuVS5uHd6lgYS