David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/3/10 12:35 p.m.

The MG T-series introduced Americans to the sports car. Where most of our domestic postwar offerings were big, bloated and drenched in chrome, the MG TC showed us that less could be more.

The T-series might not have been the most advanced contraption ever put on this planet, but its design just …

Read the rest of the story

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/11/11 12:20 p.m.

I had a '52 TD when I lived in Southern California. I loved that car but even then, you could barely go anywhere except by freeway. Most of the surface streets just served as freeway feeders. That car was absolutely scary on the freeways at that time. Traffic then, not now, often ran 75 mph or more during off peak times. You don't want to be on a four or five lane freeway in a TD when everyone is running 75 plus! For one thing you are so low people don't see you in the traffic. At least on a motorcycle you had some power and you were high enough to be seen.

Since I couldn't afford to own two cars at that time I sold my TD for $495. I had to drop the price $100 because the top blew a big hole right before I sold the car.

Of course I was hooked and have owned several TRs & other British Beasts since. But somehow I never got around to buying another MG. They just seem too underpowered for my tastes.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/9/11 7:35 p.m.

my introduction to 1952 MG TD, just before christmas in 52, not a happy time.

two guys identical twins(in lynn mass) bought for themselves 2 new MGs, a red one and a green one, they used to go out on the back country roads,and braggin about there cars handling.

i had a 1932 ford roadster channelled, with a 46 Mercury V8, that was all well and good,never did race against them heard they were out racing each other , one lost it on a curve, crashed and killed.

a sad end ,but life goes on, his brother sold his TD, never seen him again!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4myjLvTKA0YlNrFE7PJkJUPwMohnnhjwa0x6sVMvDBPgxrplC15XCBHyTh3sdAlH