Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
9/10/08 7:57 a.m.

Hi All,

I get very few tech questions for inclusion in Classic Motorsports

Email me at per@classicmotorsports.net if you have any questions you'd like answered in the magazine.

thanks!

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/11/08 5:23 a.m.

How do I keep the oil from leaving the confines of my Mini's gearbox?

I predict there is no actual answer to that question.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
9/11/08 10:14 a.m.

Never put it in there in the first place?

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
9/11/08 1:05 p.m.

Do you have a handy supply of LUCAS electric smoke replenishing fluid?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/11/08 1:57 p.m.

I think your confusing a common oil leak with the patented BMC active rust-inhibitor system, which continually dumps oil on the undercarriage to limit corrosion.

docsaab
docsaab New Reader
9/11/08 9:06 p.m.

I have an actual technical question.I had to remove the dash from my 1969 avantiII to fix a no start problem involving a melted wiring harness. As an aside I cleaned the instruments and fixed the under dash problems while it was out .I have an updated msd billet distributor and the 6a control box.The tachometer is an old stewart warner for the studebaker version , as such it uses a tach driver electronic box under the dash . the msd has a sine wave signal and I think a port to plug into. The old tach cannot use this signal .it uses a square wave. what can I put between the msd box and the tach driver to change the signal from sine to square so my tach works? Or can I fit a modern tach innards in my case and use the original face to accomplish this? Ido not Like electrickerey at all except to weld. regards

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/11/08 9:49 p.m.

Leave it to Per and Baxter to solve it. I've decided what it really is doing is placing a preservative on my epoxy garage floor to keep it from...er...uh...lulling me into a stupor of believing my shop will be featured in Ultimate Garages 3.

Yeah, that's it.

bluevr6
bluevr6 New Reader
9/12/08 2:26 p.m.

Dwight:

I believe that the BL gearbox is similar to an x-1/9 transaxle in that the wet gaskets and seals just don't.

I have build a few x-1/9 transaxles using RTV instread of a gasket set and they have never leaked, where the ones I built with a factory gasket set leak like drinken (insert term here).

Kevin

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
9/12/08 6:15 p.m.

Baxter, I believe the patent application refers to the rust inhibitor as a self perpetuating anti-corrosive underseal. After a full rebuild, no matter what I did, I was unable to get it to work properly again. I have some genuine concerns about not only rust, but the deleterious effects of excessive oil pressure over time. I also changed the fluid in my transmission (knew it was a no-no), so I will soon be looking for a replacement unit, hopefully prepacked with longevity insuring shavings and filings and old matchbooks from the 70's just as it left the factory.

I wish I had a real tech question, but the only mystery to me is why my battery will mysteriously drain, then get recharged and behave as if nothing happened, and my stereo goes completely dead but then comes on "a few weeks later" like nothing ever happened.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers New Reader
9/12/08 8:04 p.m.

So have you not been making offerings to the Prince Of Darkness?

A proper gentleman, you know, does not go motoring about after darkness - or listen to a distracting radio!

wetpossum
wetpossum New Reader
9/18/08 5:29 p.m.

Ok, Here's a good one:

I have a running engine that I removed in order to repair rust and repaint the car, a process which is going to take a couple of years. How should I prepare the engine for long-term storage?

Mike

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dyqU70oAHwe1l4UzJATLvvpi7S9gA47Vjx46SX6UtvkLWYn0OWtyFN9cb9M3wTAX