The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
10/30/17 7:38 a.m.

[Editor's Note: We ran this story in the July 2017 issue of Classic Motorsports. Some information may be slightly different.]

Story by Listed Reference • Photos by The Staff of Classic Motorsports

The Triumph TR6 has been a cornerstone of the sports car world since its 1969 debut: strong lines paired with an equally strong engine. These days, however, the newest example is more than 40 years old– and might have an issue or two. Need help righting a few wrongs? We present four experts eager to share their knowledge.

Read the rest of the story

LanEvo
LanEvo HalfDork
10/30/17 11:40 p.m.

Very useful to me, as I recently got started on a TR6 project. I didn't have much of this information at the time I bought the car, but it looks like a got lucky!

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
11/2/17 6:45 a.m.

One thing I'll add.  The rear hubs are prone to fatigue and catastrophic failure.  The stub axle breaks at the threaded end resulting in loss of the wheel.  Given that these parts are now over 40 years old, I would replace them with a newer, stronger alternative as a matter of course.  New hubs aren't much more expensive than rebuilt originals anyway.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/3/17 12:25 p.m.

They also have trouble with the sliding splines in the rear axle shafts - they can bind right in the middle of hard cornering.  Guys racing TR-6s almost always swapped them out for different axles.

Our Preferred Partners
ocDxtPLikUlBrQCb0423zhWPclzyaeqZbf7U258ubOL8FM3YBw1e9xrK0cBcMFug