David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/19 10:08 a.m.

David S. Wallens, our editorial director, has been living with a 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera for several years. His ownership experience provides the backdrop for a project car series detailed online. These 1984-’89 Carreras marry that cool, old-school vibe with just enough modern touches. Price…

Read the rest of the story

russde
russde New Reader
9/12/19 12:31 p.m.

That first picture! THAT'S what I envision when I hear 'Porsche'

930TR6
930TR6 New Reader
9/13/19 8:29 a.m.

Long time owner here.  Currently drive an 86 930.

two comments on above tips.

1.  First mod a new owner should do is the headlight relay mod, which you can do with two Bosch relays for less than $10.  This saves the hi/low switch, which is getting pricey.  (But a stuck hi/low switch can usually be repaired by using a small flat file on the contacts.)

2. Shifter bushings.  They are made of plastic, and the center bore gets oval shaped over time.  Pelican sells brass ones for the rear shifter u joint.  Recommended.

if you are going to drive these cars in hot weather, consider a fan for the oil cooler, either thermostatic or manual.  The cars do fine at highway speeds when it’s really hot out, but if you get stuck unexpectedly in traffic, the oil temp will rise and you cannot do anything about it.  Having had 4 911s (two turbos) I just leave the car at home if outside temps > 90F.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FxlSpbDQBlEYF00qn1R0TQ1XY8IMxFBhQfqYW35c230iJ4KvY5pWq8KWSqA76d4V