AutoArch
AutoArch None
12/16/13 2:37 p.m.

Donna Mae Mims' 1963 H-Production National Championship Bugeye is heading to the Gooding and Company auction in Scottsdale Arizona, January 17-18, 2014.

The Sprite was the subject of a very nice article in the November 2010 issue of Classic Motorsports. More information can be seen at http://www.autoarch.com/ThinkPinkSpriteInfo.html

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
12/17/13 3:16 p.m.

It has been interesting to see how over the last few years this car has been "Discovered" and built up to have a provenance of significance such that it will increase in value.

What we have here is a middling old bugeye that never really amounted to much but is now famous for reasons unknown or undeserved.

Edit:

OK, the woman had a hell of a run thorugh life! Got to give her that regardless of what I think of her Bugeye. Her obit is out of this world!... She had her body placed behind the wheel of a corvette for the visitation.

Notice she did not opt for the Bugeye.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
12/21/13 3:50 p.m.

I was fortunate to have met her several times since she lived nearby and attended many local SCCA functions. She was a great person, very funny and witty with lots of amazing stories. Donna Mae was actually buried in that Corvette. She daily drove a black Geo Metro coupe with pink stripes over it.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
12/21/13 10:00 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Hence it will be sold for record $$ for a Sprite.

Side effect: Causing a bunch of middling old bugeye owners to believe that theirs is worth close to the $$ of this one although theirs doesn't have the history this one does, significant or not. Better get a bugeye now before the price sky-rockets.

dougie
dougie Reader
12/22/13 1:29 a.m.

I don't see this bugeye making any were near a record price. One of most historic racing bugeye sprites has been for sale for a few years and is still waiting for a new home. http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1104-Austin%20Healey-Sebring%20Sprite-Original%20Type%20XSP%20Factory%20Racing%20Engine

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
12/22/13 9:17 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Hence it will be sold for record $$ for a Sprite. Side effect: Causing a bunch of middling old bugeye owners to believe that theirs is worth close to the $$ of this one although theirs doesn't have the history this one does, significant or not. Better get a bugeye now before the price sky-rockets.

I just gave mine away after a nine year resto and a 4 mile drive! Shoulda told me sooner.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
12/22/13 10:37 p.m.

Depends on point of view of record price, I guess. Although the Sebring Sprite is significant, the price listed is fantasy not record. Record would be about half to 1/3 that. Plus this one is more famous.

Gave one away and it isn't in my garage now?

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
12/23/13 10:03 p.m.

I can't wrap my head around the price of a pink Sprite any more than what that guy paid for McQueen's 911. Let's hope that the future owner of the Sprite doesn't "restore" it.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
12/24/13 4:05 a.m.

Was this a record? I don't know...

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20934/lot/4/

Seems it was a much higher profile car with an international audience. On the other hand, it is really a recreation and little of the original car remains.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
12/27/13 6:07 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: I can't wrap my head around the price of a pink Sprite any more than what that guy paid for McQueen's 911. Let's hope that the future owner of the Sprite doesn't "restore" it.

From what the 911 buyer said, there wasn't much bidding going on...so he was able to snag it very reasonably.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VlsAsw1P1eu9VaLmk99A1ozKOtnCZXzacRhEJSGFWrw0mdXMLYTC8R9SUuH9gGK