1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
10/8/15 10:28 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Well nothing you posted is a sub $20 vehicle

Nothing under $20K hey? This is an 05 with 40k miles for under $17K 99, 43K miles $14.5K

Or a Coupe. 01 72K miels for $10k, yup, half my price cap.

30K miles, $19K, lots out there, although three pedal would be mandatory with one of these.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/8/15 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Oh sweet Jesus, I was giving you crap over your typo in your first reply to me, which was $20 not $20k, hence the .

I missed the mention $20k in your OP, so yes you're not going to find a sub $20k Aston Martin.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
10/8/15 11:39 a.m.

The Jag XK pretty much owns this category. I would say the BMW 8 series is close, but I would not want to fix one. Then trailing behind are the Mercs and whatnot.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
10/8/15 11:45 a.m.

Fiat 124 coupe. Toyota Celica, Capri, Del-Sol, Solstice, Lancia Sedan

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
10/8/15 11:48 a.m.

I'll submit the Volvo 780 Bertone coupe. It's not XJS, Hardtop Mercedes, or BMW 8 series level. But it's cheap, indestrucible, and supremely comfortable on long trips. Also can be made to handle quite well.

Just look at that dapper pair.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
10/8/15 11:58 a.m.

Probably the newest GT Coupe available under $20k, the Cadillac CTS Coupe.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
10/8/15 12:04 p.m.

I've never driven one, but I assume the Lexus SC400 would make a great GT tourer.

Adrian_Thompson
10/8/15 3:31 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: I've never driven one, but I assume the Lexus SC400 would make a great GT tourer.

That's a Toyota in drag. Being a Turdbota automatically means its the furthest thing possible from a gentlemen's express, at best it counts as trailer trash express.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/8/15 5:34 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
bastomatic wrote: I've never driven one, but I assume the Lexus SC400 would make a great GT tourer.
That's a Toyota in drag. Being a Turdbota automatically means its the furthest thing possible from a gentlemen's express, at best it counts as trailer trash express.

Really? You'd let a Supra or 300ZX be a part of this game but not an SC? They fit your criteria well.

Hell a SC300 with the 2JZ and 5-Speed manual would be a great car to cruise in.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
10/8/15 5:37 p.m.

I'd argue that the sc has more of a place than a supra for sure. The sc is more under stated while the supra is huge winged look at me.

Adrian_Thompson
10/8/15 6:55 p.m.

OK I should have put a smiley on there, yes it's. Far more of a GT. Than the Supra or 300ZX, TBH I only put the 300ZX on there as I felt bad for having so few Japanese cars on there. The SC went head to head with the MKMVIII in the day.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
10/8/15 9:48 p.m.

Most of these big US iron cars I wouldn't consider as "GT's". Let's face it a Gt is still supposed to have respectable handling but be comfortable to drive long distance. the Big US cars may be comfortable to drive long distance but handling? ...not unless you live in a state where the roads are straight and flat.

I'm not saying they aren't great cars, but they aren't going to keep pace with the Jags, Porsche's, etc. of the world in the twisty bits.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
10/8/15 11:21 p.m.
maseratiguy wrote: Most of these big US iron cars I wouldn't consider as "GT's". Let's face it a Gt is still supposed to have respectable handling but be comfortable to drive long distance. the Big US cars may be comfortable to drive long distance but handling? ...not unless you live in a state where the roads are straight and flat. I'm not saying they aren't great cars, but they aren't going to keep pace with the Jags, Porsche's, etc. of the world in the twisty bits.

Agreed. I've driven a few of the big Lincoln Marks, and they are far from engaging to drive. The Mark VII and VIII, yes, but the III-VI? No way.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
10/10/15 4:35 p.m.

Those don't even keep the beer cold. I like my Vanagon Westfalia if I can't pick an autocross car.

Also, James Bond drove a number of Astons, and a Lotus Esprit. The price alone excludes Astons though. You can buy a servicable Esprit for the money you are talking about.

But forget about James Bond. Think about Dean Martin as Matt Helms in his custom Mercury Park Lane Station Wagon. Oh yeah...

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
10/11/15 3:20 p.m.

You've omitted the original gentleman's express (the club newsletter used to be called that!

Jensen Interceptor.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
10/11/15 10:22 p.m.

This. I bet the mercedes will push a few of those cars out of the way.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
10/12/15 8:12 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
maseratiguy wrote: Most of these big US iron cars I wouldn't consider as "GT's". Let's face it a Gt is still supposed to have respectable handling but be comfortable to drive long distance. the Big US cars may be comfortable to drive long distance but handling? ...not unless you live in a state where the roads are straight and flat. I'm not saying they aren't great cars, but they aren't going to keep pace with the Jags, Porsche's, etc. of the world in the twisty bits.
Agreed. I've driven a few of the big Lincoln Marks, and they are far from engaging to drive. The Mark VII and VIII, yes, but the III-VI? No way.

Challenge accepted.

Adrian_Thompson
10/13/15 7:08 a.m.
Esoteric Nixon wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Challenge accepted.

How? This was specificaly an as delivered stock vehicle search. Stock, these vehicles wallow down the road like, well like a mid 60's large American Sedan. Great for what they are, but definitly not meeting the criteria for this thread.

Now, if this is going to turn into a grassroots TARDIS build so you can go back in time and become an Exec at Lincoln in the 50's to change the direction of their products so they are true GT's available for sub $20K today, then good on you

Adrian_Thompson
10/13/15 7:09 a.m.
wspohn wrote: You've omitted the original gentleman's express (the club newsletter used to be called that! Jensen Interceptor.

If only, if only. It these were available for $15-20K in good condition I think this would be the winner.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
10/13/15 8:46 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Esoteric Nixon wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Challenge accepted.
How? This was specificaly an as delivered stock vehicle search. Stock, these vehicles wallow down the road like, well like a mid 60's large American Sedan. Great for what they are, but definitly not meeting the criteria for this thread. Now, if this is going to turn into a grassroots TARDIS build so you can go back in time and become an Exec at Lincoln in the 50's to change the direction of their products so they are true GT's available for sub $20K today, then good on you

What, you're not going to let me coerce the dealership into letting me have the heavy duty suspension and some uprated tires?

thewheelman
thewheelman New Reader
10/13/15 10:05 a.m.
92dxman wrote: How about an Acura Legend Coupe?

Yes!

Adrian_Thompson
10/13/15 10:57 a.m.
thewheelman wrote:
92dxman wrote: How about an Acura Legend Coupe?
Yes!

No! No ugly cars allowed for Gentlemen!

92dxman
92dxman Dork
10/14/15 2:36 p.m.

No ugly to me. Looks like a comfy place to park my ass and drive a few hundred or thousand miles

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
10/14/15 2:54 p.m.

Not necessarily ugly, but very bland in a 90s Japanese sort of way.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
10/14/15 3:11 p.m.

I love the Legend coupe choice. It's understated and overengineered in the best ways. They're a wonderful place to spend time on a long journey. I even like the styling.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0KFVUCdzIBFhRRaIyFPsksdkHKqq8j0QlWgjbrbeBKZiK8iU3BtJrtZMs4IfUvnB