David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/16/10 7:41 p.m.

Went to put something back in the Porsche's trunk this evening, and I caught the top of my head on the lid. Ow. I even found a few pieces of hair on the corner of the lid. The ironic thing is that I was about to head out for a bike ride. I guess I should have put on my helmet before entering the garage.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
6/16/10 9:26 p.m.

GT6 bonnet fell over on me once.

THUD right into my middle of my back.

63Alpine
63Alpine New Reader
6/16/10 10:31 p.m.

The Sunbeam alpine uses springs to hold the trunk open. The latch is abut an inch wide and sticks down about 3 inches, a virtual spike. During my rewiring job, it fell and cut my head, and it fell and hit me square on the spine. Someone makes a hydraulic upgrade for it. anyone with a sunbeam should invest in one while they still can.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
6/17/10 8:43 a.m.

Porsche bites man! Full details at 8.

Ron

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/17/10 9:43 a.m.

I've been bit by my Tiger trunk lid the same way more than once. But gas struts are no long term solution. I've had to replace them on just about every daily driver that's had them. If you think a Sunbeam trunk hurts, try a '98 Explorer hood sometime...

Stu

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
6/17/10 12:00 p.m.

I have donated blood to my Tiger boot lid more than once. Really odd, For some reason it gives the sensation of lots of headroom while in there working. When you actually try to use that headroom you find it was just a delusion. Never had head bangs like this on any other car, and can't seem to learn my lesson with this one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/17/10 3:41 p.m.

In the car's defense, the hood didn't fall or anything. Unfortunately I think this was totally a case of operator error. I don't have a huge egg on my head, but the point of contact is a bit tender.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/18/10 2:01 p.m.

Jensen Healeys have a 'spear' with a spring as part of the bonnet latch. Combine that with a short prop rod, necessary due to the car's design, and you get bit a LOT. The car magazines even commented about it when they were new.

EDIT: The Jensenator has a steering wheel hook on the roll cage, that damn thing has nailed me more than one. Unfortunately, I don't see a better place to put it...

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/18/10 2:57 p.m.

I had to do a flat repair on a C6 Corvette on a saturday, somehow I left the floor jack at a perfect angle that it could not be seen as I rushed across the shop and reached down to pick up my impact gun. Knocked myself right the fock out!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/18/10 2:58 p.m.

My car has been trying to kill me for years. It magically tried to tip off of secure jack stands and crush me. Good thing I'm skinny.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/19/10 1:17 a.m.

I was working on my E30 (hood opens backwards for those that don't know) and my father bumped it, letting the hinge knock me right in the right temple. No damage, surprisingly. Nothing left to knock around in there, I guess.

Series6
Series6 New Reader
6/19/10 3:47 p.m.

I got tired of being hit on the head by my Alpine trunk/boot lid.

Converted it to gas struts...

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
6/20/10 1:44 p.m.

I KNOW that the bugeye bonnet is going to try and eat me one of these times. Just hope there are no cameras around.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
6/20/10 3:14 p.m.

the hood and the trunk on my fiat use prop rods.. The trunk's prop rod is spring loaded to fold up against the bottom of the trunk when not in use. One gust of wind can lift the trunk high enough for the prop to spring back to the stowed position and slam the trunk shut...

while it has never gotten me, it has locked the ONLY set of keys inside itself

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7gAnqUaGpJoII1iA3R54CsnRxdcdvvYvJTnYzoi2HjG9tXNMCBRMBckOJ07AqtNl