Scott Lear
Scott Lear
7/24/12 2:03 p.m.

Racers have a way of turning everyday fashion elements into pop culture icons. Steve McQueen cruised the pits at Le Mans in a white racer jacket, and it survives as a symbol of cool at the track. Jackie Stewart made tartan a valid choice for helmet decoration. And just try to imagine Richard Petty …

Read the rest of the story

SHANE
SHANE New Reader
8/1/12 10:15 a.m.

THIS IS STILL A WONDERFUL STORY, ABOUT A WONDERFUL WOMAN..TWO CLASSIC DONNA MAE & HER PINK BUGEYED SPRITE.......SHE SURE HAD A GOOD LIFE....SHANE

SHANE
SHANE New Reader
10/1/13 4:02 p.m.

I don't understand why more classic PEOPLE don't reply to a great story like this one........SHANE

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/4/19 7:53 a.m.

Well here's hoping they do. 

steward
steward
9/4/19 3:57 p.m.

Really good to know Donna Mae's 'Thinking Pink' Bug Eye Sprite is alive and well. I was fortunate to have seen her and that great Pink Bug Eye race at Marlboro many times. i believe I've old 8mm footage of Donna Mae at Marlboro. Through years of watching many 'sports car' races I developed and admiration for drivers such as Sir Stirling Moss, Denise McCluggage and Donna Mae Mims. In my mind each stood out above others of that era. Good article...Thanks for the share.

Al

gwnorth
gwnorth
9/4/19 9:27 p.m.

In 1963 2 friends and I drove to Thompson, Connecticut and saw D-M Mims win her historic race. Three fat guys in a mini all the way from Cornwall, Ontario! Slow weekend in Canada. 

If I remember correctly, Max Nerriere from Toronto raced a red Lotus 26R that weekend, but at this point it's a little blurry. I think Thompson closed after that race? Anyone still got a program?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OMnmBi5ohOgRZ4KoRElnj64qf3eGacnB1cs3sREOoaXwCvYJsLP2L8S590wKK1ZY