Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/12/16 2:58 p.m.

I am constantly stumbling across car collections. Some are well organized, with the cars in great shape and well displayed. These are a joy to see and write about; I love listening to how and why guys collect the cars that most interest them. From Jay Leno’s amazing collection to Mitch McCullough’s…

Read the rest of the story

Gary
Gary Dork
2/12/16 3:35 p.m.

I'm 67, and fortunately I only have one project car ... a "ran when parked" '68 Spitfire. I'd like to think that it's been extraordinary willpower and common sense that's kept me from from buying an additional 10-15 projects along the way. But the reality is that I just don't seem to have the 'nads to pull the trigger when another project car presents itself. (And there have been many). I guess that's a good thing. But at the rate of progress I'm making with the Spitfire, I wonder if I'll finish it in time, so to speak. (Not that there's anything other than my age that would cause me to say that). It really is something to think about and to plan for.

It's an interesting concept for a new business, though.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/12/16 3:46 p.m.

Most people don't want to look reality in the eye, it's to scary. I have turned some things loose because I know that the new owners had a level of enthusiasm I was lacking. 1958 Chevrolet one ton Panel languished in my prison for 5 years before I turned it over to 2 brothers that now have it roadworthy. My accomplishment was saving it from the crusher.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
2/12/16 4:32 p.m.

56 now... and having too many projects is a thing....

I still need to finish the one I'm still working on....

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/12/16 6:48 p.m.

I'm 52 and am down to one project. I did realize some years ago that my hording wasn't accomplishing much. I decided to concentrate on one at a time and not accumulate too many cars. It's liberating in a strange sort of way. Is this how normal people live?

A comment on JK. I don't know him personally, but I've been in several events with him and his wife. His TR6 is a thing of beauty, and both he and his wife are fast! Of all the cars I've owned, I still consider myself a Triumph guy. And seeing and hearing the TR6 run is always a joy.

CertifiedLotus
CertifiedLotus New Reader
2/12/16 7:18 p.m.

I've had project cars for longer than I can imagine. Started when I was 17 years old buying sports cars in disrepair because that is what I could afford. I always bought a car, finished it and was drivable before I bought my next project car.

Today, I'm 61 and still follow the same philosophy, build one project car at a time and don't buy another until it's completed.

I'm currently working on a 1969 Lotus Elan S4. It taking a few more months to complete than I originally thought. But I will finish it before I buy another project car.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
2/12/16 8:37 p.m.

Is it best to "not quite finish" sometimes? I spent 15 years and now my Merak SS is really, really good.I found however the better it got, the less I drove it! I used to drive it all over. I used to put 5-8,000 miles a year on it. Then as it got too nice, questions like, "was it going to rain", "do I want to drive THERE with the car?", "Oh, those roads are crap, no taking it there!" (very low and easy to scrape), etc. etc. Now I am selling it, so I can start another project, which I will make nice, but will not make pristine, Just so I can drive it all over! I like driving my cars, not just going to a car show sitting around all day and then home again.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
2/13/16 1:04 a.m.

Too many projects? Not enough time? That's what children are for.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/13/16 7:09 a.m.

Jerry, Getting son Tom to work on projects is easy. Getting him to help me with my stuff, less so.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this column. It attracted many letters when it ran in the magazine. And I took my own advice and pared down a couple and got going on a couple of other projects.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/13/16 9:55 a.m.

I will admit I've reached my limit of how many I can handle. I personally feel it's an issue of space. I don't have enough to work effectively one one car, let along the 4 classics and 2 daily drivers I own, all in various states of need.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/13/16 10:49 a.m.

Ian is right on with one of my axioms:

"The amount of crap you accumulate is directly proportional to the space you have to store it."

If I had space for three more cars... guess what?

850Combat
850Combat Reader
2/13/16 1:59 p.m.

I've got a handful of Alfa parts, a bunch of Lotus 7 and Elan+2 parts, and boxes of Cortina parts. I'm concerned that it will go as scrap. I'm 61. I don't have any "project cars", per se, but I do have too many cars. Just keeping them up and decent is a hassle. Mystery ignition problem in 1 Cortina, plus it needs a headliner and fuel tank sending unit. Carbs need rebuild in Lotus 7 again from not being used enough. I have to pull the plenum on the air conditioning from the restored Scirocco 16V because I didn't see the squirrel nest in the cowl when I turned the air conditioning on. It sucked a bunch of acorn shells into the fan. Then there are a couple Nortons in the back bedroom. One I bought new, the other has been in the family since the 70s. They need carb rebuilds, hydraulics, and one needs swing arm pivots redone.

These vehicles were all very usable when I bought them. The Cortina was my daily driver and autocrosser from 1995 to about 2013. Got too many other things going, some different interests, and they all suffered.

Good news though. I work in the oil industry. Due to the loss of jobs in this industry, I may soon have all the time in the world to stop the deterioration and maybe turn it around. Time, but no money. There is always a catch.

Gary
Gary Dork
2/13/16 4:06 p.m.

In reply to 850Combat:

"Then there are a couple Nortons in the back bedroom."

That's classic ... beautifully and elegantly stated!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/13/16 4:20 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Oh, I've reached the point where I can say "no" although I'll admit to being tempted at times. I'm reasonably content with what I have and I'm not actively looking for anything new. That said, if a '69 Charger and/or '71 Demon were to fall into my lap for a good price, I'd probably find room somehow.

I have to admit some part of me hopes my relocation to NH becomes permanent as it would allow/force me to find a property better suited to my hobbies.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/14/16 7:04 a.m.

The problem with cleaning out the hoard as a business model is that the junk to jewel ratio is too large. Not enough money for the junkman AND the estate.

The wife unit has already declared that if I should leave behind my shop, there will be a sign on the yard that says "Car and contents FREE...Must take ALL or none".

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
2/14/16 8:59 a.m.

No Doubt It's Complacated. Trying to sell off the Gasser Project to fund the Vette, That should be My last Car, and no one seems to want the ERA Cobra Frame I have so After The Challenge,I may have to do something with it, at the Least I need to stop buying Parts for it,Till the Vette is done,darn cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DlJXPj2Al2HmX5kRPD093kJ8D67rXY0tEOQg2whXooL7J7X1cqzTWne67vzbxAko