Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/23/22 8:21 a.m.

Making parts sounds easy. You make parts, you sell parts, you keep buying bigger trucks to take the money to the bank.

But as I was recently reminded, it’s not always so simple. Case in point: Does the world need a carbon-fiber driveshaft for an Alfa Romeo Spider?

This predicament started w…

Read the rest of the story

CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter)
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) New Reader
12/23/22 3:38 p.m.

I'm always amazed at the passion that some of these manufacturers brings to a pretty niche markets. 

scardini1
scardini1
3/8/23 5:27 p.m.

The most impactful modifications to my GT6 (Convertible!) Resto-Mod had to be:

1 - Electronic Ignition.  Not just the distributor, but also a Capacitive Discharge/Multi-Spark box.  These truly made the engine much more stable and driveable, despite a street cam and higher compression.

2 - Hi-Torque starter motor.  Spins the engine effortlessly despite the higher compression.

3 - 5 Speed transmission.  Lower first gear; higher fifth gear.  Quicker off the line and more relaxed on the highway.  Hard to argue against that if your car didn't originally come with five (or more) gears.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/23 9:16 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm always amazed at the passion that some of these manufacturers brings to a pretty niche markets. 

But thankfully they do, right? I look at all of the little trick bits that I have touched over the years. Someone had to have the vision and ability to put it into production. 

bosswrench
bosswrench New Reader
5/27/23 2:19 p.m.

And some "fixes" aren't.  My son's '74 Alfa  roadster  was the famous '4abuck' car. If you haven't heard, the thing had early SPICA injection and stopped running. It had been abandoned by a woman's son in her driveway for years, then he disappeared. She just wanted it gone but was afraid if she gave it away it would be an issue on her CA taxes. So the Bill of Sale was for $1.00.

My son spent three days on the SPICA and got the thing running well enough to drive it 75 miles to Laguna Seca, where it became the 'Pace Car' for a motorcycle race! But he replaced the troublesome SPICA for higher performance Webers. He used a cheap fuel pressure regulator to drop the EFI fuel flow from 50 psi to about 5 for the carbs. 

Bad suggestion: with 90% of the fuel pressure blocked, the pump overheated on trips of over 10 miles so the engine often quit. He had to wait for the pump to cool off  before the engine would restart. Adding a carburetor fuel pump fixed that annoying little problem. He eventually restored the car but the SPICA remained in a box.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
8/13/23 11:53 a.m.

The peak for aftermarket performance parts for most of my cars seems to be about 15 years ago or so.  The last item I remember were tubular A-arms with a  trick lower removable shock mount.  I don't think I've seen much of anything new, except for some modern alloy wheel reproductions.

GrizwoldsZ
GrizwoldsZ New Reader
4/11/24 11:20 p.m.

I just installed some new headlight buckets for my 240Z from dapper lighting. They are elongated in the rear to allow for more modern LED lights. 3d printed so they fit well on all the S30's. Also got some tool covers for my series one Z from Resurrected Classics. Perfect fit and really nice match to the old originals.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZTfO9KP7Yk0JedO8PufdUsYKabONKxqdf61SeOkasiWryVEdeMugVsPAWQkF6M7W