Johan Dillen
Johan Dillen
10/27/21 8:59 a.m.

The first clue is in the soundtrack. This doesn’t sound like a Volvo P1800. First, there’s the deep whoosh of the turbo, like a vacuum cleaner gone rogue. Next, you hear the engine, ferociously screaming as the wheels fail to contain 420 horsepower.

This bright blue dot is a racer&rsqu…

Read the rest of the story

Gary
Gary UltraDork
10/27/21 8:43 p.m.

I owned a '68 1800S for a few years back in the seventies. I really liked the looks. However, it handled and steered like a fifties-era pickup truck and needed about a hundred more HP. But back then, who was concerned about those deficiencies? Not Simon Templar anyway. This Cyan version, although it's an interesting concept, isn't for me, even if I could justify that really ridiculously stupid price. Instead, if I was so inclined, I'd buy a great original example for around $30K, put another $20K or so into sensible upgrades to engine and suspension, and have a really nice vintage GT vehicle for a tenth of the price ... with properly proportioned tail fins (i.e., original). smiley

Tomwas1
Tomwas1 New Reader
8/3/22 8:24 a.m.

Got my license in 69, used to borrow my cousins 67 1800 convertible they purchased new in volvoville on long island. Same place Irv Gordon got his multi million miler. Spoke to him over the years at a few Swedish get togethers,said he couldn't afford the vert so he got the coupe... His was definitely a keeper for him while my cousins probably ended up in a junkyard somewhere in Pennsylvania... 

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
11/1/22 9:36 a.m.

I'm not alone in admiring the shape of the 1800S, the XKE, C2 Stingray....

I've never considered evaluating the price/value of any car over $50K;  as a hobbyist with a well-equipped shop, I'd spend a lot less than 500K to build the wildest car of my dreams.

Meantime, I just picked up a BMW M Coupe for $35K...Most I've ever spent on a car...and I expect to have a lot of fun with it.

Something about the Emperor's New Clothes comes to mind.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/7/22 7:01 p.m.

At the beginning of this year my sisters and I unloaded  my dear fathers'  1963S(black/red interior) to an individual that somewhat promptly delivered it to a new owner in Belgium /Switzerland  for a "tidy" sum.

Don2001l
Don2001l New Reader
2/12/23 2:59 p.m.

What a beautiful car, doesn't look bad from any angle !

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/12/23 4:37 p.m.

With that sort of power-to-weight ratio I'd expect "under 5 seconds" to be an understatement. What to say? Looks like a spendid way to spend more money that I'll ever have. Certainly more interesting than remodeling the aft lounge on one's yacht. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FdiFDxrEKczWZuUNag5aRsr97uUrqX7u2nm9nEWjVb0D3W8EkdOfhUEQNXMJghHi