John Webber
John Webber
9/1/21 2:20 p.m.

British car enthusiast Zach Merrill loves projects–as long as they are devilishly complex and take years to complete. He’s well known in LBC circles for his brilliant, resto-modded Morris Minor Traveller inspired by a Morris dashboard he created as a kid in a woodworking class; he …

Read the rest of the story

ZachMerrill
ZachMerrill New Reader
9/6/21 6:54 a.m.

A big "Thank you" to both John Webber and  Classic Motorsports Magazine for producing this feature article!

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/6/21 11:08 a.m.

Nice conversion.

These engines have been transplanted into Morgans and a particularly nice conversion on an MGA as well.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/power/pp511.htm 

I wanted to use that engine in my Jamaican bodied MGA, but back in 2007 when I looked for an S2000 engine, none were available so I used a GM V6 instead. Still wish I'd had an available S2000 engine.......

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/6/21 2:16 p.m.

I am hoping to put one in my Volvo 1800S in the near future but crikey has anyone seen the insane prices for Honda S2000's lately? If it continues upwards on this path, it will likely never happen. frown

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/6/21 2:55 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

......but crikey has anyone seen the insane prices for anything car related lately? If it continues upwards on this path, it will likely never happen. frown

FIFY

joeymec
joeymec New Reader
7/3/22 11:44 a.m.

My first car 50 years ago....A Tan converted to jet black MGB-GT!   What I really like about this example is that it looks totally original even down to the Smiths gauges and yet it is a rocket ship and.....reliable..... nice Job....  Still one of the prettiest coupes ever made............

theonlyiceman53
theonlyiceman53 New Reader
7/4/22 7:28 a.m.

Absolutely a beautiful car!  I can see where it would be placed in the stock class as it looks like it was built by MG.  The valve cover seals it for me!  Great job.  I looked at using that engine on my latest project but because of the price, I used a 1UZ instead.  It's a long way from finished and it will not look like it was created at Abington although I can see the attraction of building that way.  

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/4/22 12:24 p.m.
theonlyiceman53 said:

The valve cover seals it for me!  

I did something similar on a GM V6 swap I did on an MG.  Had a friend at a local technical college do a 3D scan of a factory MGA Twin Cam cover with engraved emblem and them modified it to suit the different curvature of the GM upper plenum and used a computer operated milling machine to cut it on the GM plenum.  Painted it MG red and it looks right. 

joeymec
joeymec New Reader
5/20/23 12:22 p.m.

Almost a year later and I am commenting again.   Zach, you are a true craftsman and I like your style.  In the past year, I acquired a New Hampshire barn find 69 BGT virtually rust free and am bringing it back to the vintage 66 look.  Sorry, s2000 powering is beyond me.  I will leave that to you.  Just love this project!!!  Best!!!

ZachMerrill
ZachMerrill New Reader
5/20/23 1:58 p.m.

In reply to joeymec :

Thank you for the kind words! The car is continuing to deliver stellar service and big fun. A month ago, Libby and I made an 1100 mile round trip drive in the car to sunny Florida to participate in the MG "Gathering of the Faithful".  Even though the car is decidedly non-stock, it was still openly embraced by all but the most unyielding of the MG purists. MG enthusiasts are good that way... Building and using the car has been a very rewarding endeavor. I hope you have a similar experience with your BGT!  Zach

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y3IyFBshGfS6GyNsiTQ48GlM6wUmc8U7G4qg81IIhpJGxDzUyIQLSHzZd0PEMD3T