David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/2/23 9:44 a.m.

Today’s blue-chip collectibles are easy to list: Cobra, Gullwing, early Corvette. But what about tomorrow’s?

That’s where the crystal ball gets a little hazy. We can assume a few things, though: They’ll be rare, storied, desirable cars from beloved brands, with firsts and l…

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/2/23 10:34 a.m.

I find it easy to forget that a lot of super-desirable (and super-expensive) classics simply used to be not-so-old sports cars people sold to get the latest and greatest.

bimmerbob
bimmerbob New Reader
1/2/23 12:12 p.m.

David, while I don't disagree with your choices, I feel you have looked over a couple. The BMW Alpina B6 for one. Beginning with 2016, the B6 came with all wheel drive, sophisticated suspension and sport modes for almost every driving situation. It's a car with everything mixed into a design that will never go out of style, blazing fast, and has now lost enough value to be affordable to most drivers seeking a luxury sport car that will seat 4, is luxurious without being ostentatious and built from the finest materials. No, I don't own one (yet) but have driven and drooled on several. Their exclusivity will make them a sure bet for auto collections in the future. Don't tell anyone--wait 'til I have mine!!

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/2/23 1:35 p.m.

That Mercedes would be easy to resist - other than an off-putting price, it looks like a bunch of clowns should pile out of it when it pulls up and stops.  You could get the same look for less money with a Viper (or several other wet dream schoolboy fantasy cars).

bimmerbob
bimmerbob New Reader
11/1/23 3:47 p.m.

David, what about the BMW I8? Sophisticated, very few around, fast enough to impress, and economy unheard of in a performasnce car. Not to mention it is so easy on the eyes. Starting prices were $150k++. Now fijnd a good one with low miles for $45-50K. Can't imagine why, they are reliable, starship technology, and did I mention flat-out gorgeous?

bimmerbob
bimmerbob New Reader
11/1/23 3:49 p.m.

David, what about the BMW I8? Sophisticated, very few around, fast enough to impress, and economy unheard of in a performasnce car. Not to mention it is so easy on the eyes. Starting prices were $150k++. Now fijnd a good one with low miles for $45-50K. Can't imagine why, they are reliable, starship technology, and did I mention flat-out gorgeous?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/7/23 9:25 a.m.

In reply to bimmerbob :

The i8 is stunning and, yes, I could see that being a future collectible as well. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AXT5NuSzKJYFpgqhbBW8gP3SghlUnPrtQY1Pkr93TfH1ILewGs6hBqZDyHIoAUj4