Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/1/15 3:15 p.m.

Two words: road trip.

You’ve restored the car, and it looks great. Time to put some miles on it. Whether it’s a local affair or something a bit more organized, some sea trials can pay miles of dividends.

Read the rest of the story

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/1/15 5:34 p.m.

I am taking the Mini on its first trip on Saturday. Should be about 200 miles!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/1/15 6:00 p.m.

Wife and I did 800 miles in three days about a month ago. In the 64 el Camino.

I strongly recommend doing a road trip in a classic car. It's a whole different frame of mind.

Gary
Gary Dork
10/1/15 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Especially if it's a vehicle that you've had a personal hand in restoring or bringing back to life. That really validates your skills and commitment to the project. I really don't think there's any better personal satisfaction than that. (Well, maybe one other, but we won't discuss that here). Non-car people don't get it. But we sure do.

SteveKJR
SteveKJR
7/12/16 4:24 p.m.

I own a 78 911 Porsche that I restored 15 years ago including a complete dissambly of the engine. Every year I do a road trip from Atlanta to Hershey pa 1600 miles round trip. Prior to heading out i take a few days to check everything including the electric fuel pump and fuse connections. Also bring along tools necessary to disassemble just about any small item on the car short of engine removal. Spares include fuel pump, fuses, wire, short piece of fuel hose, clamps and some spare relays and bulbs. Only one time did i have an issue after my arrival in PA and had to do a fuel tank removal. Other then that never had an issue on the road. Doo carry towing insurance as a back up. Love doing the road trip and drupive the car whenever possible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o3jaHwXDhHTkWKxqsjceBJ7nchBBd59HtjRhVeB9749BVTivqbwLGE6skFUzfy6Z