gmf
gmf
8/14/08 8:43 p.m.

hello, Within the last few months in either grassroots magazine or classic motorsports magazine there was a little article about a new{synthetic} oil that works real well in older british transmissions. I would like to know if anybody recalls what kind of oil this was and where I could get some. Thanks gmf

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
8/15/08 7:24 a.m.

I get both mags and don't recall the article. But, I have used Redline MT90 (I think), which has GL 4 specifications, in my Nissan truck. I now use non-detergent 30 weight motor oil in the OD tranny in my Spitfire. It works fine. But so did the GL4 gear oil I had in their before.

I suspect you could find a GL4 spec gear oil at any of the synthetic companies.

Rev.Bubba
Rev.Bubba New Reader
8/15/08 8:44 a.m.

I would like to know the same.

Maybe a write up on what the differences of motor oil and transmission fluid form then and today are and what the closest type could be for various uses. I find this info hard to come by.

A friend and I had just recently drove a 55 Buick Special form Atlanta to St. Augustine and had to go through about a 9 quarts of transmission fluid after a leak we missed on the inspection decided to add to the joy of the ride.

When you have no choice but to stop and by fluid from the limited selection found on the shelf, it would be nice to know what might work and what the consequences are of choosing the wrong thing.

55 Buick Special

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/15/08 9:52 a.m.

It was in the tech section earlier this year....let me look.

pg 111, March 2008

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
8/15/08 12:11 p.m.

Better yet, do an article on the latest info about what to do about the low ZDDP motor oil. I keep checking into this subject, but people keep quoting stuff thats no longer current and valid. An a lot of "experts" aren't so expert.

gmf
gmf New Reader
8/15/08 5:38 p.m.

Thanks,Per I have a 1958 Austin Healey 100-6. I put 30# castrol oil in the tranny. Do I put a 30# synthetic oil in it, or can I put something like Red Line MT-90? Also, where can I buy Red Line products. Thanks gmf

twentyover
twentyover New Reader
8/18/08 1:22 p.m.

MG 4 syncro boxes ask for 30W engine oil. Apparently traditional gear lubes cause indigestion w/ the synchros. I use Red Line MTL 90 in mine...

dougie
dougie New Reader
8/18/08 8:43 p.m.

I swear by Red Line MT-90 in my '57 Austin-Healey 100-6 MM vintage racer and my '65 AH 3000 MK III. Both cars have period correct stock transmissions with overdrive. My '57 is ran hard in extreme temperatures and with the exception of a solenoid problem has never had an issue. I change the oil at the end of each season and it still usually looks clean. I have used MT-90 in the MK III street car for nearly 10 years and the old timers told me it was a mistake when I did it. Runs much quieter, shifts smoother, and I believe the Red Line allows both cars to run a little cooler.

In a Healey anything to reduce cockpit temperatures is a real bonus.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WAo1uFOA9AoKA1Wueu14IZdk9l8rJCjLW7dgFmldhHc8zOFtmWc5Kc0VdpkV7XGD