1 2
racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/15/13 3:56 p.m.

Road and track ran one I THINK back in the day. It could have been a roadster B though. They compared the B, GT6, Opel GT, 240Z and 124 Coupe I believe. The 240 came in first, with the 124 almost equal on points if IIRC.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
2/15/13 5:20 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Road and track ran one I THINK back in the day. It could have been a roadster B though. They compared the B, GT6, Opel GT, 240Z and 124 Coupe I believe. The 240 came in first, with the 124 almost equal on points if IIRC.

I still have my Brooklands Books compilation of GT6 articles. The Road & Track article was included. Seems to still be in print, but I can't find a US version anymore. You're recalling pretty much correctly. The test was all closed cars (including the BGT).

http://store.brooklandsbooks.com/product880.html

Also have one of these on my Shelf Of Doom:

Still mystifies me that you could get a 1/24 scale GT6, but not a Spitfire. The Lindberg must be an Airfix re-pop or something.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
2/23/13 2:33 p.m.

There's one in southern York (PA) county under a tarp outside under a tree and the guy won't sell...

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 6:14 p.m.

oh hai....

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 6:15 p.m.

this thread reminds me I need to stop playing with the e30 and get back to finishing the GT6

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/3/13 7:58 a.m.

If anyone wonders just where the GT6 came from, check these little guys out:

http://www.jigsawracingservices.co.uk/adu1b.htm

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/3/13 12:53 p.m.

Standard-Triumph promotional film: 1965 24hrs of Le Mans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpepDRqcFCo

At least one survives, and gets some exercise from time to time.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/4/13 3:32 p.m.

One of my (many) pet dream projects is to build a square-tail "le mans" Spitfire using a GT6 Mk III tub and a Spit (bulge-less) bonnet and a built 4-banger.

racecar96
racecar96
8/7/13 6:32 p.m.

hey Im 18 and found a 71 Gt6+ with org. everything even motor(been sitting in a back yard for 20+ years) its really ruff around the edges whats the be best way to convert rear end to coil overs and install a rotary motor.........any help much need plz

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/7/13 7:27 p.m.

Problem you will find is the body work is getting $ to replace.

The rest of it has been done.

The biggest issue with changing the engine is you have to alter the firewall which means all kinds of work to relocate the pedals and gear.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/7/13 7:28 p.m.

PS Check out the prev project cars Tim did one.

flatheader
flatheader New Reader
8/8/13 1:00 p.m.

I heart them. Miss our '70 TR6, but would loooove at GT

wspohn
wspohn Reader
8/10/13 12:12 p.m.

You know, as you own an MGB and are after the great sound of an in line 6, you could consider the MG with the 6.....

Pics of my MGC (carbs not stock) with suspension tweaked to cure original handling problems.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/1/13 10:33 p.m.

EDIT: whoops didn't realize this was an old thread I had already posted in. Ohe well.....

I've had a couple. The Mk3 I picked up a few years back was too fargone to save, but I still have the one my dad bought new after college in 1970. It went cross-country 4 times (with me as a toddler riding shotgun), got in 2 accidents with tractor-trailers (seriously), rear-ended while I was driving it in college, and spent a couple several-year stints sitting in fields getting rusty while we lived overseas.

I did a frame-off semi-restoration, but the body is as much fiberglass as steel these days. Engine has never been opened or rebuilt and still runs like a top (with SU 1.75s and Pertronix).

I settled down the handling with a 1" lowering block on the rear and staggered rear wheels (sitting out about 20mm from stock), which REALLY settled the handling down. I need a new diff, but I'm dreading taking apart that rear suspension/diff setup again. I've found that I hate working on the GT6 now that I've been working on BMW e30 and e21s for the last few years...

Oh also, I have original C&D and R&T reviews of the 1970 GT6+. I can't remember which is which, but one of them loved it and the other one hated it, lol. YMMV.

In case anyone wants to see my "build" thread on it....it's archived on some UK forum:

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1206842587/

Here' she is at present. Just took her for a spin today. Rattle-can flat black paint still looks good from 10 feet away :)

a couple other pics I didn't post above...

photo nov09005.jpg

photo nov09004.jpg

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/1/13 10:35 p.m.
racecar96 wrote: install a rotary motor..

The best thing about the GT6 is the motor and the sounds it makes.

Storz
Storz Dork
11/19/13 6:33 a.m.
irish44j wrote: oh hai....

Beautiful

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
11/21/13 7:41 a.m.

I really like that top shot there^^^^^

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners