1 2 3
rgrabn71
rgrabn71
2/12/17 10:30 a.m.

I had a bit of seat time in a TR6 that was owned by my best friend while we were stationed in Bavaria in 1969 -71. While I always have preferred the TR4 design, the TR6 had an available electronic overdrive which was very nice for autobahn cruising. My friend and I with our wives (and my daughter) took a number of trips together with me driving my MGB-GT which could not keep up with the TR6. This necessitated meeting at the autobahn exits. By the way, I still have the MGB-GT while the TR6 has long since been recycled.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
2/12/17 9:04 p.m.

I love the classicness of the 250, but for a lot less you get an improved car with the TR6, (or at least the same car that costs a lot less), ....but I'm with TR8 all the way.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/13/17 9:48 a.m.
While I always have preferred the TR4 design, the TR6 had an available electronic overdrive which was very nice for autobahn cruising. My friend and I with our wives (and my daughter) took a number of trips together with me driving my MGB-GT which could not keep up with the TR6.

Overdrives were available on all TR models.

For cruising with TR-6s, I use my lightly modded MGC, which is quite a bit quicker than they are!

dherr
dherr Reader
2/13/17 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I am pretty sure I know where that is

dherr
dherr Reader
2/13/17 4:01 p.m.

In reply to wspohn:

Agreed, the TR4 was too slow compared to a TR5, so I did the next best thing.....

dherr
dherr Reader
2/13/17 4:18 p.m.

I have driven all three as I have my TR4A (with the original engine, then a Judson supercharger and finally the Rover V8). Stock, it was much fun, but I drove my friend's TR250 and TR6's and wanted more power. I do prefer the classic lines of the TR4/A/250 body style, but also appreciate the TR6 lines. Honestly, they all drive similar, as they should since they are evolution's of each other and incremental steps in that regard. You can generally swap bodies onto the frames and drive trains of each and build what ever you want. The 250 is probably the best (TR5 being even better) as the 6 cylinder engine sounds sweet and the beautiful lines of the TR4/4A body.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
2/14/17 11:20 a.m.

So for those who know - what other differences exist between a TR250 & TR5 motor beside the Lucas FI?

A 40% increase in power can't be just fueling. Is the whole motor upgraded?

dherr
dherr Reader
2/14/17 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Dashpot:

It is the same basic engine, the Lucas FI and a hotter cam make the difference. You can get a similar result with a cam and sidedraft webers, but the factory fuel injection was just so cool back in 1968

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/14/17 12:50 p.m.

I'm doing this from memory so I'm probably getting my facts not quite straight, but I had my TR4A modified with a bunch of the factory racing bits, such as pistons, carbs, cams, etc. They may have called it a rally kit, I can't remember. When it was finished it was much faster in a straight line, but compared to a stock TR6, it was about neck and neck which was faster.

chgrec
chgrec New Reader
3/23/20 1:22 p.m.

I have owned 3 TR250s over the years but have yet to own a TR6. It is one of the few BL cars I haven't owned and still pine over every time i see one for sale. Other projects prevent any further pursuit....

I always liked the styling and classic look with an engine that has more oomph over the previous TRs. As usual, I sold the TR250s well before they took off in value....again (like my e type, etc etc etc!)

jagist
jagist
3/27/20 2:10 p.m.

Is the TR6 a better car then a TR 250? Well, yes, of course it is, benefiting from additional development.

Is it a TR6 a better investment  then a TR 250. Of course not.

The TR 250 has virtually everything that makes one collectable vehicle more desirable then another. Classic good looks, good performance, reliability, and most importantly rarity.

TR 6 90,000 units versa TR 250 8,000 units

there is a MGB, MGB GT, Lotus Elan, Lotus s7, 68 Porsche 912, Austin Mini Moke, Volvo 123 GT and 2 XK Jaguars in my garage. The TR 250 is the current pick of the litter for a sunny day drive.

Frame up restored in 1993. 25k miles on restoration, fully sorted out. Recently installed 1' lower completion springs all around, painted a set of new wire wheels body color and mounted fresh BF Goodrich TA's. 

So SWEET. That 6cly engine is silky smooth and optional overdrive makes it incredibly capable of keeping up with modern traffic.

gsarahs
gsarahs New Reader
5/5/20 4:25 p.m.

I owned a 1966 TR4a with Surrey Top and O/Dfor several years, with two 1969 GT6+ coupes years before. I jumped at the opportunity to purchase my rust-free original one owner TR4a from southern California, but I missed the oomph and sound of the straight sixes in my GT6+s.

So when I had the opportunity to purchase my older restoration TR250, I jumped at the opportunity. I am currently in the process of installing an O/D gearbox and Surrey Top. She has Webbers to make her a little more gutsy than stock, and the price was reasonable. More roomy than my Austin-Healey 3000 too.

I much prefer the Michelotti styling of the earlier cars over TR6s, and I must admit that I don't mind the greater rarity of my current Triumph. I really enjoy driving my TR250, which, let's face it, is what they were intended for!

Kentr250
Kentr250 New Reader
5/5/20 7:31 p.m.

Our TR250  wonderful car

SpokaneTR
SpokaneTR New Reader
8/17/23 1:31 a.m.

When I was a boy, my cousin owned a TR4a, and I thought it was the coolest car ever.  British racing green and it sounded so awesome.  He gave me a ride in it, and I never forgot about it.  He was rather a wild one when it came to cars though, as well as no sense of maintenence.  He drove the car through a red light with no brakes and totaled the car, but he survived.

Fast forward over 30 years, I decided it was time to buy that classic Triumph.  But as I was looking, I found a model I never knew about.  The '68 TR250 that had the best of both worlds.  The TR4a styling, and the big straight 6 engine, and I found one for sale, only partially restored but running for $2500!  I bought it on the spot.  I put a bit more into the engine, and brakes, but aside from that, It needed a full paint job.  The previous owner had replaced the entire interior all new, and the origional engine was completly shot.  He had installed a 1970 Tr6 engine, replaced the trashed origional TR250 seats with High back TR6 seats, as well as the wheels and wheel hub covers and a brand new convertable top.  The car isn't origional, but the changes he made certainly made the car more comfortable and with an added roll bar, even with the dullish red paint it looked amazing to me.

When I bought it only his wife was home and she said she had authority to sell it.  $2500 was a steal even back then and in the shape it was because of the new interior, seats, new teak dash and convertible top.

It's taken some time, but it is now repainted signal red, complete with the nose stripe, and webber down draft carbs, and the electrical system gone through.  It's the best of all the TR world's in my opinion.  The 4speed gearbox needed rebuilding, and there is no overdrive.  With aftermarket headers and modified monza exhaust it moves out nicely.

It's not the car my cousin had.  It's better.  I much prefer it over the TR4a, and the TR6.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/18/23 1:52 p.m.

One thing you rarely see over here is a TR6 that has the British petrol injection - they are hugely preferable to the carbbed version as they put out 150 bhp instead of 104.  We had a friend in the club with one so I git a ride in it and was suitably impressed.  I also went on a club run and the TR6 PI was right behind me on a long hill. I ws driving one of my MGs and he had never seen it before. He pulled out to pass on the long hill and I couldn't resist flooring the MG...and walking away from him up the hill.  He of course thought it was an MGB and was wondering what had happened until I showed it to him at a stop - it was an MGC that I had massaged up to 175 bhp!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZmShGvKWmb6VQA558EiUud9UVcYscHtqu7TPxLCwZU2YTfTXiFPL55Wbd8MY7Xuy