Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/26/08 5:05 p.m.
feature_image

As those of you that frequent the forums page here at CMS know, we picked up this '74 TR6 from the nice folks at Brit Bits in Rye, New Hampshire at the beginning of February. Besides a bit of freezing rain followed by a torrential downpour, the 1300 mile trip home to Florida went well. Oh sure, we …

Read the rest of the story

Bryan
Bryan Reader
2/28/08 12:24 p.m.

When I bought my '99 Miata about three years ago it had/has scratchs/bumps and bruises in weird places just like your TR6. How do people manage to do things like gouge paint inside the door jam? No rust yet but it's like my previous owners had your TR6 as well.

Joe Gearin
2/29/08 9:28 a.m.

Your previous owner didn't live in Mass did he?

Fortunately, TR-6 body panels are available, and not too expensive.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
2/29/08 11:47 a.m.

Nice work, Joe! Amazing how much cleaner the front end looks without the rubber bumper attachments. Now get out there and remove 'em from the rear too!

Joe Gearin
2/29/08 1:01 p.m.

Yep, the rears are coming off soon. I'll also shine up those bumpers to see if I can get some of the corrosion off. I don't see them being re-chromed anytime soon, but a little touchup work, and elbow grease should go a long way. There is no shortage of "detail" work to be done to this car.

It looks like I'll take the drive up A1A along the ocean to Jacksonville tonight. Rufus the wonderdog hasn't been for a ride in the TR yet!

trboost
trboost New Reader
3/21/08 5:38 p.m.

The best part about removeing the bumperettes is you save over 30lbs of usless rubber & metal. I was a little more fortunate when I removed mine, just a little rust. I covered the holes with black plastic trim buttons. Better than an open hole & they won't promote rust.

I gotta hand it to you, driving all that way in an unproven car. You got my vote for the brass nuts award.

Best of luck with the car. Looking forward to your adventure.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bkiQeKD5UrRbaLXSLo4hplY3IudOabpZscWTtCZXDAJ0VWJ4P8B3gHgdnrFw1ZvV