digdug18 HalfDork
10/23/10 9:50 p.m.

I have a 1987 honda civic wagon rt4wd, I need window gaskets, the ones that goes between the outer door metal and the glass to help keep the rain out. Honda doesn't sell them anymore, the ones I've seen in junk yards are perished, mine are cracked and on their way to becoming dry rotted.

So what do I do? How do the auto restorers make them or get them made? I've looked around online but to no avail. I'm hoping you guys can help.


DneprDave Reader
10/24/10 11:50 a.m.

I've bought weather stripping and body gaskets from Au-Ve-Co.


They have a store finder on their site.

You buy it by the foot and trim it to fit.


Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/25/10 1:29 p.m.

^^ Winning plan.

Otherwise, I'd say your 4wd Civic is a goner, and you should send it to me for a proper disposal.

digdug18 HalfDork
10/26/10 10:24 a.m.

sorry, its staying in the garage where it should be. I do wish finding replacement parts were easier though. I mean I got the car for $400, and it needs a clutch, water pump, and timing belt at the very least.

Though if you look around I'm sure you can find one for just as cheap.

digdug18 HalfDork
10/26/10 10:56 a.m.

I've looked everywhere on their site, no store finder, I'll have to call them directly, also they do have weatherstripping, but gladly that is something I can find from napa or other parts stores. I need a window gasket, which is hard to find so I am finding, lol.

What kind of manufacture should I look for to make me a window gasket? or actually a couple hundred feet of window gaskets, I believe that all hondas from 81-87 are the same basic design, just some are longer or shorter, mine being the longer of them.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/27/10 9:10 a.m.

I wonder if at some point the same cottage industry that caters to older European cars will expand to '80s Japanese cars? For an example of what is possible, check out Kip Motor Company. The term "NLA" doesn't appear in their catalog. Is there a need for a Humber Super Snipe windshield? Sunbeam Imp trim? Some weird window seal? If so, they will make it, right there in their Dallas shop. It's an amazing place.

digdug18 HalfDork
10/27/10 11:02 a.m.

It sounds like an amazing place, I'd love to start a place that had all the Japanese car parts, much like the victoria british/lmc truck of honda I guess, but I don't have the money for that, and I don't think their are enough collectors out there as of yet to support the industry. The japanese cars never had the lust after them that the american cars or british cars did, eventhough they are just as or even more rare then their british or american counterparts.

Now we just need to find Tom Heath a 4x4 civic to play around with, lol.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
10/27/10 12:42 p.m.

I'd say you have a few options:

search wrecking yards looking for rubber that is still useable.

Cold-call every Honda dealer until (maybe) you find one that still has a NOS one.

Make do with a universal type one that more or less works, but doesn't look quite right.

Find a place like Kip Motors and have it custom made.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/27/10 2:05 p.m.

Some of the classic car weatherstrip companies sell universal weatherstrip, you could look through their catalogs and see if you can find something that's close enough. I like http://www.metromouldedmfg.com/, a couple other good ones are http://www.steelerubber.com/ and http://www.soffseal.com/

digdug18 HalfDork
10/28/10 2:29 a.m.

ok, I'll check those out, I've contacted several companies to get some made, its not cheap, especially since i need a minimum order of 100ft, but I believe I can move it to other 2g and 3g civic owners, I believe they fit 1g crx's as well..

pro4art New Reader
1/1/11 9:43 p.m.

Local glass shops, or auto body suppliers. Try those.In reply to digdug18:

aeronca65t Dork
1/2/11 7:12 a.m.

JC Whitney has a ton of ~weatherstripping~

Also, try ~Aircraft Spruce~

Our Preferred Partners