frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
11/13/19 6:48 a.m.

We know from tests GRM has done that E85 adds power, more power than racing fuel. 
We also know that it's around 50 -70 Cents  a gallon cheaper than premium  and a lot cheaper than Racing fuel. 

But if your car doesn't have Flex fuel capability is there a Grass roots way to gain the power benefits and  cleaner burning?  

If we used carbs you could just drill ( team) the jet (s) out  60% and be good to go.  That is assuming the E85 you buy at your pump  is 85% ethanol. Since it can legally be between 51%& 85% That's not a given.  It will be 85% if you buy it from a racing fuel supplier, but I digress. 

So it seems to me that first we need a simple way to test it.   I have a test kit to determine specific gravity. Bit of a Science lab experiment and with glass test tubes etc. not exactly user friendly.  

But with modern Electronics and the smart people we have here how difficult would it be to create a pocket sized fuel analyzer? ( Bonus points if it measures %  water content) 

The next problem I see is how to make older less flexible systems react to  the need for up to 60% more fuel?  Something to piggy back on existing systems.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/23/19 11:12 a.m.

I know a fuel scientist. Let me run this by him. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nDfbnoXyeWmjp0ZIRIcZ7ZGUMkYrqPNbQ56Bg3DKjRs3MG9hELMzlVdlCazZG004