ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
5/14/20 11:02 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DLJecJfFUGI

Need to fix some fiberglass? We can help. The subject here is our 1962 Elva Mk VI project, but these tips are applicable to anything made from fiberglass. Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

DaleCarter
DaleCarter New Reader
9/5/22 1:43 p.m.

Great video and I really appreciate the metal tape idea. It should be a help as I learn more fiberglass repair. For those who don't know, the tape and the self-tapping screws are in the HVAC section of the hardware store :-)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/22 10:02 a.m.
DaleCarter said:

Great video and I really appreciate the metal tape idea. It should be a help as I learn more fiberglass repair. For those who don't know, the tape and the self-tapping screws are in the HVAC section of the hardware store :-)

Glad that you enjoyed it and, yeah, good, practical advice. Good luck with your projects. 

bosswrench
bosswrench New Reader
11/6/22 4:59 p.m.

Great DIY, Tim. Not a critique but as an add-on, years ago one of my fiberglas repairs involved fixing a spot on a Bultaco PurSang gas tank. After sanding, I decided to finish up the next day (it's hot in CA, too!) so off came the sweats and into the shower. My wife threw the dusty clothes in the washer and 2 hrs later she had the worst case of allergic hives on her arms & neck she's ever had! 

Apparently caused by sanding dust: fully cured paint, fiberglas, gel-coat, primer or whatever. I hadn't even opened the repair resin can! Never found out if it was original 30-year-old Spanish stuff, a U.S- done repair or ? Remember guys- somewhere, someone is allergic to about anything you can think of- even fully cured stuff!  Use sweats, mask & gloves and especially an air hose to blow off loose dust, to protect others as well as yourself!

JDeRyke

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/7/22 7:45 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

There is one other approach.  Bondo everything together and then use the result as your pattern.  Use that pattern to make a splash mold* and as a result the parts pulled from that splash mold will be true to the original without the added weight and bulk of a repair.  It would be like you called the factory for a replacement.  
* splash mold is a light weight mold one or two layers of a light Matt often without even a gelcoat.  Typically only good for one or two parts.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/7/22 8:19 p.m.

In reply to bosswrench :

What I do is always wear clothes I'm going to throw away anyway.   I do keep a pair of shoes around for painting bondo and other stuff like fiberglass work. They stay in my shop. To keep the mess out of my house 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5utBA5DCHywlzs6cZxF9fnfIddncZwDzBxa0ilYOB2ps42BxXTYj8mKbz4Jp28vR