Jaredpeters
Jaredpeters New Reader
3/29/18 10:46 p.m.

Hi,

What do you guys use to insure classic cars? I've noticed that many people recommend to use a company such as State Farm and GEICO and I've noticed many discounts that I am eligible for. I don't need full coverage, but I do desire a company that does well in claims. Do you guys use classical car isnurance or traditional options such as GEICO, Allstate, or State Farm? I live in Florida. What rates should I expect? I appreciate any advice given.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
3/30/18 9:03 a.m.

I'm in Florida too. I've used Hagerty and Grundy.  Both have been great when I needed them.  Right now I have an A-H Bugeye with Grundy, $25K value, $287/year.  I just had to make a tow claim a couple weeks ago.  The fuel pump died and I had used up all my AAA tows.( 6 cars will do that, lol)  Called Grundy after re-reading my policy and they had a reimbursement check for the tow to me in a few days.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/30/18 10:42 a.m.

I use https://americancollectors.com/ for my old cars.  I haven't had any claims so I can't say how well they handle them, but the reviews I've seen are generally good.  Plus, their rates are pretty cheap.  Remember that most all classic car insurance policies will have some level of restriction on how you drive the car, either with an annual mileage limit or where you can drive it (i.e. not as a daily driver to and from work.)

Jaredpeters
Jaredpeters New Reader
3/30/18 11:47 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe:

I've been hearing great things about Grundy so far! Thanks, I didn't think I would be able to get them for that cheap. 

Jaredpeters
Jaredpeters New Reader
3/30/18 11:49 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

Thanks I will check them out. I don't mind, the car is going to be garaged for the most part.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/30/18 12:29 p.m.

Have Hagerty on the Opel GT. GEICO on the rest of the cars. Been with them so long that I get treated pretty well if I have a claim, my member number is the old style and recognized as being old. Checked around and can't find a better deal. Even USAA can't beat the cost. Am considering on moving my 99 Miata to Hagerty under their specialty car insurance. Would greatly reduce the cost of full coverage on it. Primarily driven to and from events, once in a while to work and/or pleasure drive. Actually drive the Opel GT more than the Miata nowadays. Just need to check with them on coverage for pleasure driving once in a while and modification/upgrades. Miata has some mods, common autocross/track-prep mods. Those aren't covered on current policy. Haven't had a make a claim with Hagerty, hope I never have to.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/1/18 11:17 a.m.

I use both Chubb and Hagerty and sadly have had to make claims with both. Customer service on both, is fantastic.

wannacruise
wannacruise New Reader
4/1/18 3:49 p.m.

Hi All, I have 3 collector cars.  About a year ago I switched from State Farm to Chubb. I had been with State Farm for about 50 years but I decided I wanted to check around. I met a couple of the Chubb representatives on the Orange Blossom Tour and on the Smoky Mtn Tour.  We hit it off well, had great conversations and I really enjoyed spending time with them.  So when I got home I e-mailed for a quote.  My cars are not in the high end range of collectors, each one would have no trouble staying under 50K. Well Chubb quoted me coverage with a few extras, and each car was raised up another 10k in stated value and their quote was $100 per year less than I was paying State Farm.  Also the one car, a C5 Vette, was written under a stated value policy and State Farm would not put that car on a state value policy because they said it was too new.  Thankfully I have had no claims yet so I can't speak to that.   

jburnash
jburnash New Reader
4/3/18 1:47 p.m.

I have used Hagerty for the last decade on my (rebuilt but not restored from the ground up 1989 Toyota MR2. I have a stated value policy and the premium is reasonable with very few restrictions.

Have never made a claim but ... that's ok with me :-)

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
4/9/18 8:11 p.m.

Hagerty...same as above.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/14/18 8:32 a.m.
Jaredpeters said:

In reply to stuart in mn:

Thanks I will check them out. I don't mind, the car is going to be garaged for the most part.

Pretty much all classic car policies require a garage at home.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cpQJviFmb2QX8b39KtiAeiYEnvu1sf5AFZGAAox5NCdqjt4yHPXbqJPO4NU3aSw3