Goodwood Festival of Speed, England

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/13/17 9:35 a.m.

Goodwood Revival, England

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/13/17 3:28 p.m.

Monterey's "Car Week" is the most impressive collection of car events I've witnessed.  (Pebble Beach, Concorso Italiano, The Quail Gathering, Legends of the Autobahn, the Werks Reunion, McCall's Jet Party, historic races at Laguna Seca, etc. etc. etc.    

Nothing in North America rivals it......although I've heard both Goodwood events are amazing. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/14/17 9:29 a.m.

Mille Miglia 40's/50's version, the Greatest drivers of all time.  the stuff My dreams were made of. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/17 10:47 a.m.

Another one to put on the bucket list: 24 Hours of LeMans. 

LanEvo
LanEvo HalfDork
10/2/17 1:57 p.m.

As a participant or spectator?

I haven’t run any vintage races in Europe, but I hear the Spa Six Hours is amazing. 

As far as events I’ve personally run, the VARAC Canadian Vintage Grand Prix has been the most fun for me as a driver. Tons of track time at a legendary circuit (Mosport) without all the fussiness of most American events. 

Outlawghia
Outlawghia New Reader
10/3/17 1:33 p.m.

Goodwood Festival of Speed 

I went last year and WOW is all I can say. Everything about the event is just amazing.

dougie
dougie Reader
10/4/17 11:09 p.m.

As a spectator Goodwood is my favorite, as a competitor I love the Rolex Monterey Historic Reunion. Each event offers a different a automotive advantage. Both are wonderful and should be enjoyed.

https://flic.kr/p/fJy95m  https://flic.kr/p/5x1PbC

fornetti14
fornetti14 Dork
10/6/17 8:47 a.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

As a participant with an old pop-up headlight Spec Miata, I'm partial to the SVRA series (Sportscar Vintage Racing Assn - www.svra.org).  $295 to enter, then Mazda gave us $250 back!  I just ran a weekend at VIR for $45 which included the Thursday test day, two qualifying sessions and two races.  The no-contact rule means I didn't receive any new dents or rubber marks!  

The bonus was the Trans-Am Series race on the same weekend.  Vintage car show, TA race, great Spec Miata racing all in one place for $45 and that included the dinner on Saturday night!  

I'm surprised no one has been talking about this on the GRM message board.  Here is the race recap from VIR:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXMwfa_BprQ

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/7/17 12:28 p.m.

We happened by Monaco one day  week before the GP and dicvovered that the vintage races were that day so we attended.  Stuff there that you rarely see even at Monterey and we sat on the starting straight just before St. Devote so got to see them winding it up a bit.  Not to be missed!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/12/17 6:13 a.m.

All good choices. I just got back from Put In Bay and while perhaps not Goodwood, was pretty fantastic, especially from a small-bore competitor's POV. The island is an amazing place to take your wife or girl friend to the races as well.

200mph
200mph New Reader
10/12/17 11:14 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:

Nothing in North America rivals Monterey car week......although I've heard both Goodwood events are amazing. 

Agreed !

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aTrEZxI8hppPRDh7plvUmScE6nzAkCcBCeicl75fDsTMpXSRbsafQSg1kkCJLJ83