Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/22/15 8:37 p.m.

In reply to yupididit:

Good call on the 500E.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
6/27/15 8:08 p.m.

Has any one mentioned DB7? or the M10 Lotus Elan, XK8 if you can stand an automatic, though they can be converted to the euro manual I hear. XJs V-12 or BMW 850? PORSCHE 928.. or are any of these not exotic enough?

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
6/27/15 9:01 p.m.

In reply to bastomatic:

"Is the NSX an exotic?"

IMHO absolutely. But its an exotic without the pain. Does everything right and can be serviced at your local Honda dealer. Compare that to a Ferrari 308.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
7/9/15 9:14 a.m.

What about the Integra Type-R's? The 94-97's are the rarest but even the 98-01's were made in pretty limited numbers (Black and Yellow only). I had seen them approaching $10k with all original engine/trans intact, but I believe they have already begun going up. Supercar they are not but affordable collectible that will rise in value, I think so.

Oh, and having driven a couple they are fun!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
7/9/15 9:25 a.m.

Integras are great cars, super fun, but not by any stretch of anyone's imagination are they exotic!

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
7/9/15 11:36 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Integras are great cars, super fun, but not by any stretch of anyone's imagination are they exotic!

Agree with you there, but it seemed like the topic started gravitating towards ~20 year old cars that are cheap now but will start to go up, and I think the Type R's fit the bill there. NSX is the only Acura exotic/semi-exotic in their stable.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/9/15 4:57 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: In reply to bastomatic: "Is the NSX an exotic?" IMHO absolutely. But its an exotic without the pain. Does everything right and can be serviced at your local Honda dealer. Compare that to a Ferrari 308.

I would much rather have a NSX than a 308. For many many reasons. Only reason to prefer the 308 is the badge or if you need underpowered hard to service v8s as an aphrodisiac.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
7/9/15 7:00 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
TR8owner wrote: In reply to bastomatic: "Is the NSX an exotic?" IMHO absolutely. But its an exotic without the pain. Does everything right and can be serviced at your local Honda dealer. Compare that to a Ferrari 308.
I would much rather have a NSX than a 308. For many many reasons. Only reason to prefer the 308 is the badge or if you need underpowered hard to service v8s as an aphrodisiac.

I've driven both, and to be honest, they each have strong points. From a pure financial perspective, the NSX is the clear choice, but man did the 308 drive nice. Underpowered or not, it just felt sweet. You could tell it was exotic, whereas the NSX drove nice, but felt more like a...well, Honda. That's both good and bad. The Ferrari on the other hand felt like a slot car with great steering feel.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
7/21/15 11:32 a.m.

So I have both a 308QV and a '91 NSX. Here is my take:

The NSX is a fantastic automobile. Everything you hear is true. It's an actual car--not a toy--that you can use as a daily. The grip is awe-inspiring. The power is fantastic and feels like a lot more than the advertized 270 HP. At the same time, you don't ever really feel like you are being punished by the car. The non-power steering doesn't kill you, even at low speeds. It has real air conditioning, cruise, the whole bit. These cars are not as cheap as they were for a bit, but they still offer great value and I would be pretty shocked if they didn't continue to appreciate.

The 308 is simply not as good a car. But it's not a car--it's a Ferrari. And that makes it another thing altogether. Remember, this car was introduced as a '77 model based on technology that went back years before that. Where the NSX is a computer-designed alloy unibody tub, the 308 is a body-on-tube-frame design with all of the (magnificent) squeaking and rattling that goes along with it. Drive the 308 and you are a star. Everyone wants to talk to you about it. (And yes, you would not believe how many people will tell you that they "like your Mustang.") It's loud. It's hot. It's crude. But on the right road with the right person, you are just transported to automotive heaven. The car is simple to fix. Parts? Don't ask. The community is fantastic. The NSX still has a large ricer contigent arguing about the coolest wheels and the wildest wing. The 308 has the Ferrari Club of America--which is a fantastic organization made up fascinating people.

I drove my NSX to work today. I drove my 308 500 miles over the weekend. They can't be compared. They are just not the same anywhere but on paper. As Ferris Bueller said about a certain Ferrari "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." But if you want to get to the office rapidly without sweating up your Brooks Brothers shirt, go NSX.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/21/15 4:05 p.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote: What about the Integra Type-R's? The 94-97's are the rarest but even the 98-01's were made in pretty limited numbers (Black and Yellow only). I had seen them approaching $10k with all original engine/trans intact, but I believe they have already begun going up. Supercar they are not but affordable collectible that will rise in value, I think so. Oh, and having driven a couple they are fun!

I think of all of the four-cylinder sport compacts, the Type R will be the one. Why? It defined the scene, saw low production numbers, and was more than just a wing. The Type R was totally unique, from the hand-done cylinder heads to its own unique unibody. It's like the '67 Camaro Z/28 of that scene. Make mine a '97, please.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
7/21/15 8:30 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Plus many of them were riced/stolen/wrecked. I know where there's a 1-owner Type-R, all stock except for aftermarket A/C, but she's not selling... I think that car will be a treasure for the next owner someday.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/22/15 11:49 a.m.

Grumble... really making me regret not buying a local SCCA member's ITR for around $8K a few years ago...

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/4/15 12:31 p.m.

Most have been said...but forgot the one.... CONSULIER GTP Of course I would have to bring this one up! I hope the price goes sky high. But doubt it.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/4/15 12:33 p.m.

The hard top version.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
8/5/15 8:39 p.m.

944's, 928's V12 Jag XJS, V12 BMW 850, NSX, Integra Type R, Supra's, RX 7's, CRX, Volvo 850R manual, DB 7's, Jag XK's, BMW M3's, Lancia Fulvia's, Alfa GTV 6's, Milano Verde's, 355 / 360's, 456 / 550 Maranello's, DB 9's, Maserati Coupes , Maserati Granturismo's, ....and yes, I am going to guess at.....the FI Maserati Biturbo's, ('87 and forward).

Adrian_Thompson
8/6/15 8:41 a.m.

Good list, I see lot's of great cars on there, but few would I consider exotic or semi exotic.

944's, Great cars, not exotics, not even 951's

928's Great cars, not really exotics

V12 Jag XJS, Great cars, not really exotics

V12 BMW 850, Great cars, not really exotics

NSX, First Quasi exotic, I think we all agree it's certainly heading up, up and away in values

Integra Type R, Great cars, not remotely exotic by any standard

Supra's, Great cars, not at all exotic

RX 7's, Great cars, not at all exotic

CRX, Great cars, not remotely exotic by any standard

Volvo 850R manual, Great cars, not remotely exotic by any standard

DB 7's, Not sure I"d call it an Exotic, but a great high end GT car

Jag XK's, Great cars, not really exotic, but another great GT car, pretty sure it's got another 25 eyars of depreciation ahead of it

BMW M3's, Great car, definitely appreciating in E30 form, great racing heritage but not an exotuc

Lancia Fulvia's, Great cars, not at all exotic

Alfa GTV 6's, Great cars, not at all exotic

Milano Verde's, Great cars, not at all exotic

355 The last good looking Ferrari for a long time, still depreciating but certainly will go up in the long run and yes it's a Semi Exotic

360's Yes, it's a semi Exotic but it's got a lot of depreciation ahead of it. Not as pretty as the 355 and made in massive numbers so there are lots out there to choose from. A car that was $100K more than the Ford GT when new now selling for $250k LESS than the Ford GT. 308's were cheap for 20 plus years, this is doomed to follow. in 5 to 10 years this will certainly be an affordable entry level exotic,

456 Swoon, nuff said, I love these and they were still available with three real pedals. Definitely an affordable (to buy if not run) Exotic GT car in the making/

550 Maranello's Sort of like the 456 above, but personally too bland for me, but it's a prancing pony so someone will eventually pay lots of money for them, no matter how bland it looks. Has anyone put Toyota Supra badges on one yet and tried to sell it tothe F&F crowd?,

DB 9's See DB7 comments. Great GT sports car.,

Maserati Coupes , Maserati Granturismo's,Again I just don't see these as particularily exotic, great GT cars and those that will survive will go up, but they've got 30 years of falling into the hands of people who can't afford the upkeep to kill most of them off before they swing up.

....and yes, I am going to guess at.....the FI Maserati Biturbo's, ('87 and forward). Again, not exotic, but you are right. There are so few left that haven't been crushed doe to lack of maintenance that they will with out doubt be worth some serious money in 20 years

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
8/6/15 10:13 p.m.

Yeah, I kinda' skipped over the exotic part. I think I was thinking of another thread having to do with what 90's cars would appreciate and mixed the two threads up, (as some of these aren't 90's cars either)..posting late and tired, sorry. ....then again, I saw a Hummer today and thought.....those will be worth something one day. People will start looking for them in 25 years.....and still not exotic.

Adrian_Thompson
8/7/15 7:38 a.m.
maseratiguy wrote: Yeah, I kinda' skipped over the exotic part. I think I was thinking of another thread having to do with what 90's cars would appreciate and mixed the two threads up, (as some of these aren't 90's cars either)..posting late and tired, sorry. ....then again, I saw a Hummer today and thought.....those will be worth something one day. People will start looking for them in 25 years.....and still not exotic.

You have something there, I wonder what they sell for these days. Some one needs to pimp one up like the Lambo LM002. Off to e-bay

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
8/7/15 9:39 a.m.

Bentley Arnage? I think they came in T and R flavors, too.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
49grU2fun2uk3LhCT5HnoyYDs1MI4L5GknjcnJC5gQ7Nzbkj2UCeNiFxlp2mS03W