1 2
Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/21/11 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Gary:

Cool. I think I've heard of that contest. My favorite Matchbox car as a kid was the Vauxhall Guildsman that I later learned was a concept car built from a similar contest.

TR8owner
TR8owner New Reader
1/21/11 11:17 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

"Does anyone here like anything but British cars? "

No.:-)

Seriously, I like the early Mustang but my first choice in 60's American classics is a Chevy Corvair. I not so sure you can find a good early Mustang for 10 K can you? Corvairs can be had for that.

I'm also on board with the OP's suggestion of a Datsun 240Z or a Porsche 914.

Fred_B
Fred_B
1/22/11 7:14 a.m.

First and second generation Mazda RX-7s are great cars if properly maintained. Second and third generation Toyota MR2s are great as are any Miatas.

These cars are more resistant to rust then the pre 1980s British sports cars.

tpfaff100
tpfaff100 New Reader
1/22/11 11:54 p.m.

Definitely would consider a Volvo p1800. They were quite expensive when new but have been fairly absurdly cheap for awhile. The later years came with trouble-free fuel injection/induction and were just great cars. They will go for hundreds of thousands of miles. You can drive them to work every day under any condition a new car can be driven. Gas mileage is 25-30mpg depending on government gas formula where you live. These cars have strong potential to increase in value. On top of that they have a very nice Italian look and are well... cool!

tpfaff100
tpfaff100 New Reader
1/23/11 12:00 a.m.

MG Midgets are more fun than a barrel of monkeys when maintained and not abused. Probably not a good car to drive to work/school everyday (tho I did). The smog-era models can be had for well... for free! (seriously... if you ask around) Of course they require lots more work. If you're a passable home mechanic the pre-1975 BMC A motor midgets are a decent choice. Post-75 MG Midgets are nice too but are more suited for people with masochistic tendencies. You will learn how to pull an engine if you own one of these cars but then... it's about as easy as it gets.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
1/24/11 6:19 a.m.
tpfaff100 wrote: MG Midgets are more fun than a barrel of monkeys......

Yep. ~Mine~ is, for sure!

TR8owner
TR8owner New Reader
1/24/11 10:24 p.m.

In reply to tpfaff100:

"MG Midgets are more fun than a barrel of monkeys "

Back in the day, I had a 1970 1275 Midget with a ported head, high CR, headers, 731 cam, big SU's, etc. It was a real sleeper. It was basically a semi FP race car on the street. One of the most fun cars I've ever owned, even to this day.

I raced Spitfires, but somehow BL replacing the 1275 with a 1500 Spit engine was just not right.

Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
1/24/11 10:47 p.m.

What would I recommend for someone new to the hobby..............run, run as fast as you can before it's too late: soon your wife will want a bigger house and you will gleefully agree because it has a huge garage, which you'll fill with old Datsun parts vintage Yamaha MX bikes, 50 yr old Hondas, Vintage Karts & plaster the walls with posters, trinkets and cool gear....save yourself while there is still hope.

Well if you've come this far there is probably no hope for you, 10K will get a whole host of nice cars. If absolute style isn't a priority a Volvo 142 is great fun with lots of suspension goodies and a great engine. Otherwise go P1800, 122 or 544 Volvo.

Datsun 240Z, 510 or fairlady Roadster are also great pics.

other 70's Japanese cars would be Celica or Mazda RX7.

Fiat or Alfa convertable

Midgets or Sprites are great cars to start with if you want something British.........and they are very fun. Or go MGB GT

If you shop carefully you can get a lesser early Mustang or Camaro in good shape. /they'll be of the boring spec but who cares they're cool.

I'm biased towards Japanese stuff but what ever country of origin I'd say go with something no older than early 70's: by then most cars had disc brakes, A/C and various other basic creature comforts. I love prewar stuff but do you really want to go to dinner in something with no heat or A/C and no way to lock it up................each decade older demands a little more of the owner. 1970's stuff makes classic ownership pretty painless.

my .02 of course, Tom

GSCReno
GSCReno Reader
1/27/11 5:09 p.m.

To quote a recent Cadillac ad... "The question is, when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?" Cheers, Scott

ww
ww SuperDork
1/28/11 10:40 p.m.
59bugeye wrote: This one is easy for me. Austin Healey Bugeye... But most important - - - The Chicks Love It!!!!!

And that would be great. Right up to the point they ask you what styling salon you work at! ;p

59bugeye
59bugeye New Reader
1/30/11 2:23 p.m.

In reply to ww:

Yeah, Seeing that your real close to San Francisco...I take it you must get asked that question a lot

ww
ww SuperDork
1/30/11 11:40 p.m.
59bugeye wrote: Yeah, Seeing that your real close to San Francisco...I take it you must get asked that question a lot

You know, it's amazing how often that happens to me! How did you know?! ;)

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/3/11 1:02 p.m.

very simple answer to OP,

JUST BRING LOTS OF MONEY, money can help any project, and what money cant buy, i dont need.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TMYn60d5DreLek288SvKfzrW3kd37af3GJ92lUt6cCF3l8MvwNmOIBj8gFdbsiJn