1 2 3 4 5
dougie
dougie New Reader
3/25/09 11:09 a.m.

Classic tow rigs now your talking. It's next on my list once the Big Healey is all sorted................ya right. I've been eyeing old chevs or ford suburban type projects. Something that would help organize all the my tools, gear, spares in one mobil location.

Old looks with modern drive train and interior comfort. It's too far from me but: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951-Chevrolet-Half-Ton-Panel-Truck-51-Suburban_W0QQitemZ110368440998QQihZ001QQcategoryZ5348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_1212

Gary
Gary Reader
3/25/09 12:45 p.m.

Hmm, a classic tow rig … romantic concept but is it really practical? I’ve been to a lot of vintage events during the past 15 years around North America and Europe and the closest thing I've seen to a classic tow rig is a guy from Quebec who open-trailers his Fiat Abarth around in 20 year old Caprice Classic wagon (but probably not because he wants to). So, I wonder why we don’t see more 40 year old pickups, vans or flat beds towing cars 500 miles or more to the track? Maybe because racers want bullet-proof reliability of modern tow vehicles and would rather put money and effort into the race cars. A classic tow rig might be a great promotional project for a business or a magazine, but you’d probably want to trailer it to the track to be sure it made it there.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/25/09 1:20 p.m.

Ooo... as much as I agree the Brit-car thing has been done to death, I also like the Europa idea... probably because I keep thinking about one...

I kinda agree about the classic tow vehicle thing.. .sounds great in principle, but in practice? I don't know... About as "classic" as I want to get would be a Dodge Cummins... for long-haul drives, I like a reasonable level of comfort: cruise control, A/C, nice stereo, comfy seats, leg room... that sort of thing... Which can turn your "classic tow vehicle project" into a "resto-modded truck"... can it be done? Sure. But can get expensive, PDQ...

A small engine (sub-1L) would be neat as well... I had high hopes for the Berzerkly over on GRM, but lost interest when it was turned into a one-seater...

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
3/25/09 2:08 p.m.

How about a "junkyard wars" type of article. Two teams are let loose in a vintage junkyard with $2000 cash, a welder, tools and spray gun with the assignment to build the best pre-74 vintage autocross car they can. Sponsors could provide tires, rollbars and paint. Judged by concourse, engineering, autocross time and drag time.

Hmm. Maybe this should be a speedtv program too?

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
3/25/09 2:12 p.m.

Well yes, but the GRM side of the house is already doing that with the 200X Challenge thing, except it's readers doing the bodging rather than staff.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/25/09 3:55 p.m.

Corvair. Modern engine. Margie happy?

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/25/09 5:32 p.m.

"While I don't disprove of the Land Rover idea, I'm not sure another truck (after doing the Ranchero) is the kind of vehicle a mag called Classic Motorsports would do..."

Ian, I have been thinking about what you said, and it has been rubbing me the wrong way. I don't know what your vision of "Classic Motors" are but I consider a Series Land Rover a classic motor. And as far as the "sports" of motorsports go what is not motoring about taking a vintage truck overland? Not all four wheel drive trucks are mud boggin' Super Swamper equipped smoke belching monsters. There are those of us out here that use our vehicle to do vehicle supported touring where we go places that one cannot easily go in just any vehicle.

Yes, it would be easier to do so in a new F150, but wouldn't it be easier to drive, say, a new Nissan 370Z as opposed to a vintage 240Z?

I consider my '65 Land Rover a motoring classic. I did come to this board because of my love for motor sports of all kinds (well, most motor sports). The fact that I also have a Triumph GT6 goes to that point. I also had a vintage BMW R 75/7 (translation: BMW motorcycle 750cc built in 1977) which I also considered a classic motor.

Whereas I do not expect this publication, CMS, to cover all aspects of motoring (i.e. motorcycles) I do not think it would be out of the reach to cover a classic truck.

In summary a Land Rover is exactly what I would expect a magazine called Classic Motorsport to do.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/26/09 12:06 p.m.

I don't necessarily disagree with you... I have have a history of 4x4's myself... and I'm not saying I would get upset if they decided to do a truck of some sort...

Ultimately, we who like to play on the boards represent only a small percentage of the CMS readers... so I'm guessing the staff will only take our comments to heart so much and pick a project they feel will best entertain the readers...

...and whatever happens to fall into their laps will likely play a role as well...

Bryan
Bryan Reader
3/26/09 2:23 p.m.

I would like to see a resto series on a MG T series, MGA, and/or a Morgan. I think having to work with metal, cloth, WOOD, etc would be interesting. And maybe it would scare me off from buying one because I would sooooooo love to own/drive one of those cars.

blackrabbit
blackrabbit New Reader
3/26/09 6:49 p.m.

I vote for two stroke smoke too!! just posted a DKW to readers rides if your looking for a project small light cars w/little motors are fun! its all about momentum...

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
3/26/09 8:18 p.m.

A Mazda 808 or 77-80 RWD Round Headlight Mazda GLC converted to Miata (or FE3) power and 5speed transmission.

I 've always wanted to do it.

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
3/27/09 7:30 a.m.

Okay Tim. This thread has run its course. What are you going to do?

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
3/29/09 12:07 p.m.

I like a lot of these ideas so far so why not do kind of a twist on these themes and use the project vehicle as the tow rig. Let me explain, I am thinking of an early wagon of some sort like a Corvair, Volvo, Mercedes, VW Type 3, Mini Clubman or maybe a Datsun or Toyota wagon. Also maybe an early 60s van (ya I said van!!) like a Dodge/Chevy/Ford with the motor between the front seats and the flat nose. Include in the resto a small towable camper like a tear drop or Airstream and take the thing on the road to some of your shows. I may be the only one but I think that would be really cool. I agree with one of the previous posters......classic motorsports can mean a lot of different things and not just sports cars.

Ok you can thank me later and contact me as to where you can send my free t-shirt.

Jakeinthepaddock
Jakeinthepaddock New Reader
3/29/09 6:01 p.m.

OPEL GT SABB SONNET MY B/GT ? JAKE

lasttr
lasttr None
3/29/09 9:07 p.m.

Do the Corvair. I've seen one at a local show with a V8 in the back seat. The ex-GM aluminum V8 in my TR8 probably doesn't weigh any more than the flat 6....

Jeff_Jordan
Jeff_Jordan New Reader
3/29/09 9:18 p.m.

1st generation Mazda RX-7? Early ones now 30 years old and don't seem to fit the demographics of current GRM readers...so maybe in Classic Motorsports.

bmw327
bmw327 New Reader
3/30/09 5:32 a.m.

To ddavidv - I bet he'd sell for this.

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
3/31/09 2:02 p.m.

A Fiat 124 coupe...PLEASE. I think those things are sooo cool. Failing that I've got this '78 Mazda Cosmo just sitting in the shop... I'm just sayin'. Cheers, Scott

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
4/2/09 8:03 a.m.

For Christ's sake, do Margie's Corvair.

Then do the Spitfire stuff.

An IMP would be interesting, but how many are there still in the world? If you are looking for odd stuff, do an NSU Prinz. My best friend from high school had one that that thing was awesome. Of course i was driving a 56 VW vert.

Don't even think of doing a TR8 until I can get my clammy hands on one. You will drive the price up too high.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
4/2/09 9:15 a.m.

Hey Jeff.

I have a 1979 and 1984 RX-7. We have been doing some stuff in GRM with the 84. The 79 is currently getting a junkyard GSL-SE suspension swap. I was thinking a junkyard blow through turbo setup?

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
4/2/09 2:58 p.m.

I second this because it's under appreciated and it's the underdog. And it's also one of those 'what it could have been' if more people had tried.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
4/2/09 2:59 p.m.

Did I mention the 'Quote to' feature works quite well? Yes, sarcasm. My response was to GSCReno.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
4/2/09 3:08 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Then do the Spitfire stuff.

Yeah! Some articles on modding Tommy's Spitfire for auto-x!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
4/3/09 4:24 p.m.
Jeff_Jordan wrote: 1st generation Mazda RX-7? Early ones now 30 years old and don't seem to fit the demographics of current GRM readers...so maybe in Classic Motorsports.

I know where 7 of them are

lasttr
lasttr New Reader
4/3/09 11:07 p.m.

Spitfire Bill,

I was afraid last year's "War of the Wedges" article would put TR8 prices over the top, but I got mine last fall after watching my retirement fund collapse. I would love to see a TR8 project NOW.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cNmW5E2ph2GaEZknWtOhWJ6C1gxSbx1Ox2YpE4mF3hOtYVoSKM27s6jGijjnUaAo