1 2 3
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/10/12 5:52 a.m.

Great thread. Thanks guys for all your help. My problem is I like them all. I take the TR6 out and while it is no Tiger, there are some things I like better on the TR6. Looks wise, I always loved the TR4s and 250s, and as I wrote in our March issue, that MGC blew my mind and I was not expecting that. My next two projects are an MGB race car and a concours correct 1967 Mini Cooper 1275S.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/12/12 5:21 p.m.

Well i dont see much about JAGUARS, i do believe they are a British sports car also?

spend some time in one, a Jag, and then drive some of those cars mentioned , and you will be amazed at the comfort and smoothness.

my front vanity plate" Real men drive 12 cylinders" haha.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
2/16/12 8:08 p.m.
ronbros wrote: Well i dont see much about JAGUARS, i do believe they are a British sports car also? spend some time in one, a Jag, and then drive some of those cars mentioned , and you will be amazed at the comfort and smoothness. my front vanity plate" Real men drive 12 cylinders" haha.

Hey Dude, did you ever drive a Series I XKE!!?? Now that is a true Sports Car!!

Having owned both a Series I XKE and a Mk X with 4.2 liter DOHC L-6s. And having driven the before my time the classic 3.8 liter XK L-6 motor,I have to wonder what turnip patch you were born in.

Jaguars throughout their history have featured several engine configurations. The best currently on offer is a killer V-8. Having the choice between a V-12 XJS and the current V-8s I'd surely choose the V-8.

Jaguar history goes way before the 12 cylinder abominations which if anything have reduced the Jaguar mystique.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
2/23/12 9:19 a.m.
Tahoe wrote:
Tom Heath wrote: There are as many interesting choices as there are enthusiasts, but the British car I would want more than any other is a Lotus Elan. Especially if Ms. Emma Peel comes along.
Make sure it's Type 26 (S1 or S2) or a coupe'. The best of the lot in my book. After owning 4 Elans I could never make myself buy one with the side window frames (S3,S4, and Sprint). They are great cars don't get me wrong, but evertime I look at one I just want to rip those window frames off. I obviously have issues we can't get into here!

Whoa Dude! Are looking at the car?? That's like asking what color eyes a hottie in a tank top has. Who cares?

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/25/12 6:09 p.m.

HEY, RUBE ,, dont tell Bob Tullius Group 44 racing, that an XKE is a better race car than an XJS.

well i owned a 1967 XKE fhc, and on the track, it started knocking like He##, 1 one rod bearing spun, took out the crank and rod, along with other engine bearings, you may like the old boat anchor, but it left me unhappy!

as always RON

Rupert
Rupert Reader
2/27/12 3:59 p.m.
ronbros wrote: HEY, RUBE ,, dont tell Bob Tullius Group 44 racing, that an XKE is a better race car than an XJS. well i owned a 1967 XKE fhc, and on the track, it started knocking like He##, 1 one rod bearing spun, took out the crank and rod, along with other engine bearings, you may like the old boat anchor, but it left me unhappy! as always RON

Wow! You were discussing "comfort and smoothness" and the fact you need a vanity plate to tell people you are a real man! Neither you nor I discussed racing success or the lack thereof in our initial posts. As to your need for the vanity plate, most of us who are comfortable with our gender don't need a vanity plate, a specific auto, a gun rack, or a 4X4 to prove that point.

When discussing the racing of Tullius or anyone else with big sponsorship there is more than brand or model within a brand to consider. Big time racing success is almost never affected by the brand or original spec of the vehicle as much as the pocketbook of the sponsor. For examples you might ask the folks who drove BMWs and got spanked for years in Trans Am by Pl-510 Datsuns. Or, since you brought up the name, talk to Tullius Group 44 who spent years following Datsun 240Zs in Cp.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
3/1/12 1:29 p.m.

WOW Rupert! and he didnt mention anything about Chesty!

Leo

Rupert
Rupert Reader
3/5/12 9:26 a.m.
Leo Basile wrote: WOW Rupert! and he didnt mention anything about Chesty! Leo

Leo,

I guess I got a little carried away! A lot carried away. Chesty is a touchy feely thing as is being called Rube by someone with terrible writing grammar. Being from WV, I think you can relate.

I apologize to almost all. We're supposed to enjoy our cars and ribbing each other. I didn't do that this time.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
3/6/12 10:14 a.m.

JEEZ RU^#, i was just seeing what it takes, pushing your buttons!

dont be so sensitive.

Ron

wspohn
wspohn Reader
3/14/12 2:07 p.m.
ronbros wrote: spend some time in one, a Jag, and then drive some of those cars mentioned , and you will be amazed at the comfort and smoothness. my front vanity plate" Real men drive 12 cylinders" haha.

That's an interesting difference of approach. We Lamborghini owners would (probably not use that sort of plate, but if we did) put it on the rear plate, not the front, so other cars would have half a chance of actually seeing it.

But then our cars tend to spend more time on the open road as opposed to Jaguars that apparently spend more time sitting on the grass at shows, judging by your statement.....

(I don't own any Jags right now, so I can get away with saying that!)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BOuyQHwCc4UofXVm3VrGVUeHCm8wxChSMzB3QCR9zVCLirENkQlDNownldmjMa4B