ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
9/23/22 4:00 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ytEvWk8tdqw

Why should you buy an Alfa Romeo Spider?

Here are 5 reasons in less than 5 minutes from Classic Motorsports Editorial Director David S. Wallens.

Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

klharper
klharper New Reader
9/24/22 12:34 p.m.

Minor quibble on reason 4, the Alfa does have a solid rear axle. It is well designed but it is solid. 

I love the 105 Alfa's and daily drive an 86 spider, at least during the spring and fall. I have 8 spiders running from a 59 to a 1990. The 750/101 spiders are a whole different kettle of fish from the 105's so I will ignore them for now. Spiders did change through the years and the driving experience changes, the early ones had floor mounted pedals and no brake servo's, they are also the lightest. Creature comforts and weight was added through the years and it switched from a more bare bones sports car to a cruiser. For a new Alfa owner I would suggest the series 3, they have a very dependable Bosch Fuel injection. They don't seem to rust as bad as earlier ones, they are very reasonable to drive in modern traffic and they are the less expensive ones. Premium years the 82 and the 90. The 82 is the first year Bosch but without the plastic spoilers, and the 90 has the better motronic FI and better cooling system but without the power steering or the bigger interior bolsters of the S4.

They are fun enjoyable cars that are not rocket fast or dog slow. Fun and comfortable to drive and they will not break the bank. 

wrenchklutz
wrenchklutz New Reader
9/24/22 2:16 p.m.

Your photo could be my car: an 87 S3.  Your articles on buying/fixing up your S2 planted the seed that led to this one coming home to me.  There is NO BETTER car to drive in the North Carolina mountains.  My two Mazdas are faster, more comfortable, and more capable all the way around, but the Alfa is the one that says "C'mon, let's go for a drive!"  You'd best know how to double-clutch as Alfa synchros are notoriously weak, but a well-executed downshift just before a corner, followed by a power-on exit, is a thing of joy.

vintagemilano
vintagemilano New Reader
9/24/22 3:50 p.m.

Have one, love it. Mines Spica, runs great. Syncros are only an issue on transmissions that haven't been repaired in the last 30 years. Not a modern car but I find the driving experience fun. 

mhoumard
mhoumard New Reader
9/24/22 9:33 p.m.

In reply to vintagemilano :

Bought my white Spyder new in 1974.  Best of the lot I've owned since an MG TF ,a '61 Fiat 1200 Pinnin Farina Spyder (a favorite compared to the Brit's sad stuff then).  Later an AMC AMX, Lancia Zagato, XKE, and a pair of Reattas.  Alfa was always the most enjoyable to drive!

Mark

Clarkspeed
Clarkspeed New Reader
9/25/22 8:28 p.m.

Bought a well preserved 77 Spider 4 months ago for $7500. Replaced tires, hoses, filters, fuel pump and tuned up the Spica with an O2 meter. Odd driving position but it runs great and I can't stop smiling. I would have bought one years ago if I knew it would be this much fun to drive. Top down I best describe it as riding an old slow motorcycle. There is no secret that the Japanese sports cars of the 70s and 80s are a step above, but this thing has a warm personality that makes those seem sterile.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/25/22 8:45 p.m.

That was a good video - thanks 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/3/22 2:19 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

That was a good video - thanks 

Thank you and glad you enjoyed it. 

And I wanted an Alfa Spider sooooooo badly. Maybe one day. :) 

gbuff
gbuff New Reader
1/26/24 8:28 a.m.

I had 2 Spider Veloces, 88 and 91, both bought new.  The 91 was the car I really learned to drive in; it had power steering which wasn't ridiculously light and I used it and that live axle to slide around on all the country roads around here. Beautiful car in silver, miss it to this day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T3i2kDGTg6MpuGt4RBr4O8kxWPGqTnV1TfAy3m5qYNdN5ieYw7uiV5SzXUKD0kK9