the staff of Motorsport Marketing
the staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
9/3/15 12:40 p.m.

If you’ve dreamed about owning a Porsche 356, the time to act is now: Prices have been increasing, especially for the open cars. The original Speedster, intended to be a low-cost, no-frills model, can now trade for more than $300,000.

Is all for naught? No, you just have to know where to shop.

“If …

Read the rest of the story

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
9/3/15 7:09 p.m.

I had two of them way back when they were $6500 cars. To be perfectly honest, they're not that special. Glad I owned them but no way in hell would I pay the prices nowadays considering what they are.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
9/3/15 10:42 p.m.

I'm with TR8owner; I think 356s are one of the prettiest cars ever but man it's hard for me to love them at current prices. If I sold the Datsun, the Beta, the Formula 500 and our Campervan I would have just enough for a 356. The problem is a few years ago at a track day I drove a students vintage race 356, it handled similar to my 1200 and had the same level of performance........oops. At 10-15K even 20k I'd consider one but at 40-60k there are so many other vintage cars are just as good looking and offer more performance. With all that said, they are good looking cars and I find them fun to drive. So if you have the 40K to spend buy what makes you happy regardless of what other people think.

Tom

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/4/15 4:19 p.m.

I agree also. I have not owned one, but I do own a Ghia and I know they are very similar (I even have mirrors sourced from a 356 on mine). I honestly think the Ghia is a better looking car, the 356 just looks too bloated for my likes. I think of the Ghia as a sort GT version of the 356.

If you want an investment car, like them, and have the money, go for it. If you just want the driving experience, buy a Ghia, or even a bug, I am sure they are not that far off (they are getting "collectible" now also of course, just not as insane).

I can imagine someone not familiar with older cars buying one and being very underwhelmed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LSToWI5i30E72owvXWwGB51nq34WjgGwkmtyPXSOpkxYMTE11HDmntQgyZP5ANit