David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/20/19 12:23 p.m.

Story by David S. Wallens

If only we could see the future. We could duck when something bad was headed our way, properly time investments, and get out when the getting was still good. We’d also know the next big-ticket items in the classic car world.

Fortunately, though, we hav…

Read the rest of the story

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
12/21/19 3:41 p.m.

Highly incomplete list.  No Italian cars.  Mention of the two all-conquering Lancia rally cars goes without saying. 

David S. Wallens
12/23/19 9:08 a.m.
Coupefan said:

Highly incomplete list.  No Italian cars.  Mention of the two all-conquering Lancia rally cars goes without saying. 

They didn't make this list because those are already recognized as collectibles. 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
12/23/19 9:46 a.m.

"blue chip"  

yes - 2000 GT

no - MOST "M" cars - excludes M1

NO - any Miata... EVER

no - 240Z

NO - Fox body...  EVER

maybe - Skyline... unlikely - too many made

NO - Rabbit... EVER

No - Supra

No - Volvo 1800

No - 928, 924/944/968  or boxster

No - Japanese sedans

No - Ford Bronco

mda525
mda525
12/26/19 4:43 p.m.

Why no love for the Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo also sold as the GT4 overseas?  It's a limited production race replica.  The race cars have a winning history in World Rally competition.  They are very reliable when maintained well which makes them a practical classic to own.  The street version has suspension that is nothing to write home about but there are aftermarket solutions.  Why is it repeatedly ignored in this magazine and Grassroots Motorsports?  The MR2 and Supra get all the love but this was a very entertaining car in its time. 

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
1/16/20 4:32 p.m.

Good list. I have owned or wanted many on the list.

Glad we all don't have to live with MegaDork's opinions.

Original VW Bug to 67'.

David S. Wallens
1/17/20 9:53 a.m.
mda525 said:

Why no love for the Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo also sold as the GT4 overseas?  It's a limited production race replica.  The race cars have a winning history in World Rally competition.  They are very reliable when maintained well which makes them a practical classic to own.  The street version has suspension that is nothing to write home about but there are aftermarket solutions.  Why is it repeatedly ignored in this magazine and Grassroots Motorsports?  The MR2 and Supra get all the love but this was a very entertaining car in its time. 

Yes, a very, very cool car. And this is just a list of some biggies to watch. 

David S. Wallens
1/17/20 9:54 a.m.
TreDeuce said:

Good list. I have owned or wanted many on the list.

Glad we all don't have to live with MegaDork's opinions.

Original VW Bug to 67'.

My college roommate had a 1967 bug--almond, totally original. If I remember correctly, he bought it at a garage sale for like $500. It was replaced with a '70 Bug (more power!). What is that '67 worth today? 

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
1/17/20 9:47 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

If it's all original, rust free, with good or new paint I'm seeing asking prices in the low 5-figures, David, $15 to $30k.

The 67' was the benchmark Bug back in the day.  1600cc, Fresh Air heating, 12-volts, night driving headlights, though, those robbed some of the classic look from the Bug.

Bug guys & gals wanted a California look 67'. EMPI initially ruled the VW aftermarket. US early Bug nuts were importing Okrasa heads, cranks, and parts from Germany, most brought in by friends in the service.  Those were fun days.

MichaelRogers
MichaelRogers New Reader
4/18/23 5:53 p.m.

I guess the magazines and associated parts sellers ONLY want to talk to those with the BIG BUX to play with the majority of the reccomended cars and their associated costs. The U S modal income : what most earn in the US is $35,000- putting most of those cars into the LUXURY slot for most and of course pretty well eliminating 95% of young people typically just starting a career and raising a family. 

There ARE many fun late model used cars including the older ones that are simple and inexpensive to own, customise, race and show that are ignored by those that make their money hustleing the big dollar hardware which while understandable insures that the car hobby is becoming an old guys playground.

The Britsh have PRACTICAL CLASSICS Magazine and many automative activities for ANY vehicle where anyone with anything that they have can participate. 

Even Autocrossing here has pretty well faded where in the 70's we had around 300 participants every week end at an affordable cost! I have never seen a class for older cars to run and possibly complete in anything other than the historic races like Laguna Seca.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/18/23 8:39 p.m.

Have you read Grassroots Motorsports? Because you seem to be describing a point of view that is... it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K8Cdx2rcEIyT0rwYxSpSx1PoHbzhnwUgTjlw9nZu0mNLySzTppPW7fNirq2yVEy5